Monday, August 29, 2005

Vegas for the Elite

I'm doing Vegas marathon Dec. 4, as my profile indicates. Fellow Vegas runners are getting shirts for runners and supporters to wear in race. But today I find out from Jeff that RBF (running blog family) has selected Vegas for a sponsor race (or something like that).

There will be shuttles, assistance for transportation and a pasta feed the night before the race. Oh and a 5K, 10K and half marathon the day before for supporters (ie sis!). The goal, Jeff said, is to make RBF runners feel like elite athletes!!!

I have not felt like an elite athlete since my sister and I used to play gymnastics in our front yard. We had a brick wall that doubled as a balance beam. The long grass straightaway was both our vault and -- less commonly as we often tumbled in the family room -- the area for the floor routine. For hours we'd make up routines and perform routines, inspired by Kim Zmeskal, Shannon Miller and Sveltana Boginskaya, of Belarus. We'd try not "break" during our routines when the announcer (the sister not performing) said something purposely designed to make us fall off during a routine.

Mostly, I won. Most importantly, I'm the older sister. But I could also do slightly harder routines. Front handsprings for instance. And I could go to a back bridge from a standing position, even if trying to kickover sometimes involved a dozen failed attempts.

So back to Vegas. How fun that will be! Too bad Jeff's not gonna be running. He was gonna pace me (for the first mile anyway, since his goal is like 6 or something crazy like that). Still, should be such a fun experience! I was pretty stoked when I heard.

Also fittingly, today I got my Vermont marathon final results magazine from my May marathon. I poured through it, re-living the weather through the photos and learning about the winners (which I'd heard about from my boy, who'd made a lot of friends at finish line) and what was an exciting race. Looking forward to another unique, memorable experience in Vegas.

4 comments:

Danny said...

I'm so jealous!

There's got to be enough of us running New York to get something like that together...

Unknown said...

just a warning about the 5k, 10k and 1/2 marathon on saturday. they're not actual 'races', but more pre-set distances with some RBF hooplah surrounding them.

i'd like to do fun awards for everyone running those distances, though, so they get to enjoy the comraderie and 'race day magic' too.

Scott in Washington said...

I think its great what Jeff is organizing. We (my wife actually) does a fun run once a year from our house with fun prizes, etc. This year will be the second annual Turtle Dash Half Marathon. I hope its half as much fun as last year. I'll also get my act together and get going ton the shirts again.

BTW; I haven't put my Vegas in Training tee on yet. I guess I just don't feel like an elite runner yet either. :)

About Me: said...

jeff - even better. mom's never done race so i'm sure she'll love to do 5k! i wonder if my grandma would even do it???

scott -- elite is a frame of mind (well, that and geting a perfect 10 on your beam and floor routine as nadia did in 1976). you are elite. say that to yourself. over and over. 'i, scott, am an elite athlete.'

perhaps that's what our vegas shirts should say. 'we are elite athletes'