Saturday, August 06, 2005

goose, jerks and hummers

today's 6 miles were the longest ive run since my may marathon, after which i was sidelined with itb band injury. as i stretched a goose wandered up to me, eyeing me curiously. i asked him (she?) how he was doing, what he was up to. as he came closer i thought it cool, but then started nervously looking around to see if i could be near his (her?) family's eggs. finally when he was within touching distance, i started to slowly walk backward. i guess he got bored and walked away.

i love where i run. within the first couple hundred feet, i saw a bunny and a fattie groundhog. and as if appreciating the weather as much as i, a little bird sat calmy near a stream, his beautiful red and black wings spread out daintily next to him.

about a half mile later i passed a guy practicing his chip shots. i said hi, he says "hey, nice job, losing that baby fat!" i gave one of those laughs of disbelief before yelling "jerk!" back over my shoulder. it's men like that that make women try for those unattainable standards of beauty. why, just before my run, i had (vainly) admired my decent fitness level. a half mile later the slight was forgotten. another reason to love running...makes you forget anything but your feet hitting softly the ground.

in other news last night was such fun. we went to happy hour then dancing. my girlfriends and i met these these guys a few weeks ago. they work together and they're such well-mannered, attentive and just all around nice guys. LM (running partner)and i never go through a night without discussing running since we're running nerds. anyway got about 5 of us to agree to run next spring's half marathon in town. so excited, i'm gonna be the coach! of course, they agreed to run seeeveeral drinks into the night so we'll see what actually happens.

oh i rode for the first time in a hummer, it was one of the guys'. i didn't know it was a hummer at first -- it was one of those truck hummers. terrible environmental wrecks those things. but i couldn't help but love it! the back window goes down and it's got this cool video screen. i am not a material girl but this thing deserves a mention cause it was f'in sweet.

3 comments:

Scott in Washington said...

Hey PartyRunner,

Sounds like a nice run - no groundhogs around my favorite run but there are some honkin big nutrea that actually keep the grass mowed.

That guy sounds like a real ass. I can't imagine saying anything remotely that cheeky when passing another runner. Usually all I can manage is a little upward contortion of the mouth and a wheeze that may or may not sound like "hey!" Maybe he meant you used to have baby fat, like when you were a baby, but now you don't? Nope, probably just a jerk.

Vegas: I know of me, you, Jeff, , and Riona who are going. Riona was going to run Vegas but suffered a training injury. She and her bf are still planning on making the trip, though, just for fun. My friend Keith might also be planning to go, but I'm not sure. I'll ask him.

Do you know about the running blog family? They are a group who runs and blogs about it and ready each others blogs. Jeff and his wife and family are having a pasta feed at the home of a relative who lives in Vegas the night before the run in Vegas, which should be fun.

Josh Dysart said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who tries to balance their social life with the craziness of running. I've even had trouble with my IT band since my first marathon. It's lame. Hella lame.

William Lobdell said...

nice start, sister! you ROCK!