Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Three cigarettes

I'm embarassed to write this, and I hope not to appall or offend anyone, but i had 3 cigarettes today. I've always been a casual smoker, in the last few years averaging a pack every couple of months. So that's an average of 1 to 2 a week. For some reason, running hard makes me want to smoke more.

In what seems to me to be the pure world of running/fitness, does anyone else suffer from unpure lapses? Does anyone read this, and rather than wrinkle your nose in disgust, be like, 'ya, i feel you.'?

If you do, send your experience. If you don't, feel good you dont. And I'll try and cut back. But no promises.

3 comments:

Scott in Washington said...

Jeez, I know what you mean. Sometimes I read these running blogs and feel like such a filthy creature. I drink alcohol. I'm a sometimes smoker (not a midnight toker). I go through the drive through for my favorite value meal items. Last week I lay in bed late at night reading and eating pepperoni slices on soda crackers.

I hate walking past the smokers out by the “smoke pit” at work. I plan my route to avoid them and when I must pass them I hold my breath and try to walk up wind whenever possible. I am a former heavy smoker. I quit in 1996. Running is how I did it. Since then I didn’t smoke at all for a few years and now let myself do a few times a year when I get together with certain people. The first couple of drags are disgusting and then it is just as enjoyable as it ever was. The last time I had a smoke was in June, when I had been running again for about two weeks. I didn’t run for two days after smoking and didn’t notice any decrease in performance when I did. I’m trying to imagine having one now and I can’t really. I probably won’t again between now and Vegas.

Since I started seriously training I haven’t smoked, I’m drinking less, and going to bed on time more often. I eat right more often than I did (confessions of a former garbage mouth). I feel great – better than I have in years. But, I’m still human and I still make my share of “bad choices.”

Unknown said...

ah...my guilty pleasure. i have a friend from high school. you know, the old goth, punk days. whenever we get together, we enjoy a clove cigarette together. it's been a while, but i'd say that i have a couple a year.

Stephanie said...

It happens. I try not to, but it does. For the most part, I kicked the habbit.