Thursday, August 25, 2005

Late Summer Runs...

Day 8, Cycle 2: Long run, 7.5 miles. Longest run since May marathon. Felt very good.

Ran with Hummer and Kim today. A weird thing happened on the way to the run. I spoke with Kim briefly at work today. She'd gotten into car accident and was shaken up, and stressed. She asked if I was going running. Ya, I told her, 6:30 p.m., Hummer might come.

For my training for the May marathon, which officially started in January, I ran 90% alone. I got used to it. Enjoyed the solitude. LM began training hard for Boston while I inched up more slowy. Today as I dressed and stretched, I began looking forward to joining my running partners.

And then, before I realized it, the run was over.
The chatting, the small talk, the jokes, the grunts about the hills, and finito.

I also noticed that by 730ish it was dark, and I began to feel a cool breeze that lets you know fall is just around the corner. I started to feel a twinge of nostalgia for another lovely summer coming to a close.

But I remember how beautiful my course is coated in snow, and the mist that rises from the creeks. And this year, I've already got the winter wardrobe ready!

2 comments:

Scott in Washington said...

I know, sun down at 8 PM tonight. Whats that all about? Pah!

Fall around here means several months of unending big fat warm raindrops that wash everything clean and fill our rivers lakes and streams with life giving water and also mean I'm probably going to buy body glide by the pallet.

Danny said...

Up until now I've also done all my runs alone, although I've been thinking about running with some other people. It sounds like you've had a positive experience with it...