Monday, August 29, 2005

Running...into people you sorta know

Day 2, Cycle 3: Cross Train. 31-minute hill bike ride (gym) 7.5 miles. 1,200-yard swim (500 easy, 200 breast stroke, 300 arms only, 200 cooldown).

In my line of work, you inevitably run into people who want nothing to do with you. They wish not to be interviewed, they don't know nothing, they'd like to tell you why your job and place of employment sucks. Really, why the entire media sucks.

A few weeks ago, I ran into just such a fellow. He wasn't talking, he didn't know anything. "Im not talking to you!" he told me several times. "I'll talk if you give me $10,000," he also told me repeatedly. Usually, I'm like whatever. I mean, I understand some people aren't going to want to talk, and far be it for me to be one of those aggressive, obnoxious paparazzi types. But I finally got annoyed, when this kid wouldn't stop it, long after Id walked away to see if anyone else would talk. I finally snapped "Look, I've heard you. You don't want to talk. I'm over it." in a really not nice way. I could see in his face he felt like he'd been scolded. I felt bad. I mean, he really was just a kid, probably late teens, at the most early 20s.

So today I walk into gym and hear something as I pass three guys. It sounds like "Oh, it's the newspaper girl." I shook my head, nah, imagining it.

Minutes later I'm hard at work on the bike, sweating through a hill workout. Who should sit next to me but those same three guys. I look over: it's the guy who wouldnt talk to me.

Hmm, a bit uncomfortable. But I pressed ahead, giving and feeling the sidelong glances. Of all the places to meet.

But why should I be surprised? In my small town, the gym is THE spot. You'd be hard pressed to find a bar that pops off most nights. But the gym, it's always crowded. Looking for a place to park during rush hour? Prepare to circle.

I run into this guy often. I mean, he works right down the street from my place. Maybe I'll try talking to him next time. Patch things up. Maybe we could be workout partners. Stranger things have happened.

No comments: