Tuesday, August 23, 2005

The Doctor (RC) is in

Day 6, Cycle 2: 4.5 miles easy

On Tuesday, Kim and I ran with the newest addition of our running group, Doe. I'm not sure whether he will remain a regular but it was great having him out there. We did the first mile and a quarter loop all together. Since it was his first run in several months (years?) he borrowed Kim's bike for the remaining 3 mile loop. Off we ran.

Kim has f'in amazed me. Just over a month ago, I joined Kim in her first run ever, a mile and a quarter (same one Doe ran). We walked three short breaks and Kim couldn't catch her breath enough to chat. She was like, stoked on herself. As she should be. i saw a post I think SD did, about bringing running to people.

I totally agreed. I feel like i've brought unpleasant things to people: drinking, smoking, (insert x). Bringing running to people is such a satisfying feeling. Healthy, fun, rewarding. Signed, the running ambassador.

Back to Kim. She couldn't do it, she was told. We'll see how long you can last, they told her. Now look at her. Seriously.

It's been two weeks since we ran together and I cannot believe the difference. We did a 4.5 mile run. Her pace had literally almost doubled (Seriously) and she handled the distance with ease.

A runner kidded Doe as he biked behind us to get a whip.

We've added a race to my schedule: a Sept. 18 sprint triathlon. She's biking and running regularly. We'll do some quarry swims (my colleague owns a quarry on her property). It's totally scary for no real reason. I mean, I'm a strong swimmer. But I guess cause it's so deep, this one's 250-300 feet deep. I swam horizontally, when I first swam in it a couple of weeks ago, losing my breath almost instantly (surely mental) and rushing to the side for a break.

Still, it should be a good primer. I'm glad to be getting at least one more race before Vegas.

And for those of you not thinking about, who's for a half ironman in 2006? I'm not sure where, I'm not sure when, but i think it will be fun.

No comments: