Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Cycle 1 Complete

Since I'm behind, a quick update on the bread and butter of this blog -- running.

Sunday (Day 7, Cycle 1): Ran 3.1 miles (as i joined sis on final miles of her half marathon) and walked 3.1 miles (to meet sis for final miles of her half marathon).
This was to be break day, but sis's running event changed things up. More to come on race.

Monday, Tuesday: (Days 8, 9 ,Cycle 1): Rest days.

Wednesday (Day 10 Cycle): Easy 4 miler along the beautiful coast. Was supposed to do 5 but miscalulated. Just as well to rest the ITB band. Iced upon return.

So goes the first Cycle of my path to Vegas. The program I'm running is based on a 10-day, rather than the standard 7-day, training schedule. It's a program designed by a well-known ultramarathoner. His theory is that the body needs more time to recuperate and rest in light of so many injuries being overuse ones. A long run, then, happens every 10 days vs every 7. The downside is that some long runs will fall on weekdays. Since I work both day and night shifts, this presents no problems.

Look for more details on the plan in either a late fall or early winter edition of Runner's World.

I'd grade my first cycle a B+. I felt good but ITB acted up early in cycle. I'm nursing it though. I feel good, and stoked to be back training.

2 comments:

Scott in Washington said...

Thats an interesting proposition. I'm getting ready to do the first light run of my week and I still feel a little sore from pushing it on Saturday. Maybe a ten day cycle would be better for me. Then again I am not a shift worker so keeping to the regular work week is convenient.

About Me: said...

convenient, yes, but are injuries convenient?

nah, i hear you. i mean, thursday, my long run day, was supposed to be a late shift. now, it's early shift and i will have to eithe wake up early or run late.

i've opted (this is the night before) to run late. mornings are sweet and beautiful, though meant for enjoying under a sweet, soft comforter as you feel the breeze coming.