Thursday, September 01, 2005

The Original RC Prepares for Big Move

Today, I've got a cross training workout I'm trying to motivate for. My slight headache appears to be departing. Good. I shouldn't have had a headache in the first place cause all I drank was beer last night. And a shot. A single shot of tequila because alas, the time has come for LM to move.

I've mentioned LM is moving to nearby big city. She'll now be about an hour away, which doesn't seem like much but it sort of is in that it makes weekday night outings nearly impossible. I guess that's not the end of the world but she has been partyrunner's dearest friend since moving cross country. After I met LM on local running web site, we quickly clicked. We just as quickly went from being running partners to going out partners. The latter is where we've been for months now.

I remember the first time LM and I went for a run. Snow was all over the ground and it was cold, with temps in the teens. It was the first winter outdoor run for this SoCal girl. But in my excitement to begin training after I decided in January to run my first marathon, I was at least prepared, clotheswise. That $250 shopping spree did me fine.

She was faster than I, something Id already told her in our online conversations, so she did most of the talking. I didn't have much spare oxygen. I found it really weird, and I mean, really weird, that approx. 95% of our conversation focused on running. I was like, 'This chick really just talks about running! She really just spent our whole run talking about running!'

It would be several months before my transformation into running nerd was complete. But it happened. LM and I met for a beer a few weeks before her Boston marathon. We spent 95% of the conversation talking about running, I excitedly doing much of the talking. Then when Kim did her first run ever, everytime the conversation went away from running I noticed I immediatley brought it back.

So on this fine, sunny Thurs morning, I tip my coffee cup to LM, the original RC (running coach).

2 comments:

Unknown said...

no one else understands us. it's kooky. we had a bible study at our place last night and i was talking about the pain in my leg, and when i mentioned that i was still running, people seemed shocked.

it was comical.

those people in our lives that just let us ramble about our passions (running, in this case) are rare.

hope you find another partner soon!

About Me: said...

how right you are! even my sis, who i'm closest to of anyone almost in world, was like, 'enough already. all you do is talk about running!' that is, until sis herself got hooked on the sport. but you know, the more i talk about running (and it's hard to talk about running more than i do) the more others around seem to wanna give it a try, or get back into it. so maybe the people at your bible study will soon join in the fun!