Saturday, September 10, 2005

Shoulda stayed home. The Lemon Drop Revisited.

There are nights for going out and nights for staying in. Last night, I went out. Wrong choice.

I was all dressed and ready to go. Make up done, hair had fallen into place. Then I realized i had left my wallet at work. No ID. Decided I'd go anyway before my boy said drive to bar was ridden with cops. I decided I was better off playing it safe. Changed into pajamas, settled into quiet night. Then LM and Jen call; Jen's bday was occasion for going out.
"Do you want to go?" they ask.
"Ya but I don't have my ID, we won't be able to get in any clubs," i tell em.
"Who cares. Do you want to go?"
"Um, OK."
I rush to change. 20 minutes later they're at my house. Turns out to be a bad decision.
Early in the evening, Ms blabbity over here blabbity blabs some sensitive information. Im heard by involved parties, I realize in horror. The night sours. It spins out of control. No need to relive it except to note WHY DO I NEED TO BE SUCH A BIG MOUTH.

All parties have since forgiven me. Lest they are reading this, I apologize again.

The night also means im less than fresh for my inaugural run with my new running partner, scheduled for 11 a.m. Dude's local TNT coach and ranked triathlete in the state for his age group. He answered my online post on the local running web site looking for partners. That's the site i met my dear LM.

Saturday dawned stunning. Nice sunny weather and a nice breeze. We meet. He looks like a runner, very slender, body fat 0% and fast. He just looks fast. He likes to run about a 7 min. mile but has assured me I can set the pace. No one has ever mistaken me for a runner. Sometimes, people have looked me up and down, a quizzical look on their face, when i tell them I'm training for or have run a marathon. But runners are lean and long!, their faces say.

The run is brutal. Brutal. We plan on doing 4 loops, which is about 5 miles. I've got 30 minutes marathon pace scheduled. ya right, i think, just steps into my run. There will be no 30 minute run at an 823 pace. There will be no such run becuase my legs are thick, having been filled overnight with lead. I will them to move as I have successfully so many times but I'm practically perplexed from how terrible the run feels and how my body isnt listening. The fruit shake I drank before run is sloshing around and it's threatening to come up. i KNEW there wasn't enough time between drinking it and the run!

I somehow keep up a conversation, mostly by just asking questions. He tells me about next week's tri, the course (which is quite helpful!). He's doing it too. We do 3 loops. He says we have done 4. I am 99% sure we have done three. Like I'm in any mood to point this out. In fact, he probably noticed my condition and said we'd done 4 out of kindness...and pity.

I have not had such a bad run since what I call the lemon drop run. That was in March and LM and I had gone to show Fri night, then had early (noon) run in freezing conditions. We had several lemon drops (LM's favorite). Never again did I have another run so bad en route to Vermont marathon. I am hoping the same will hold true for this run and Vegas.

I almost blogged earlier in the week about how wonderful I'd been feeling in my runs lately and how, despite them requiring effort, they were not especially taxing but for a few occasional patches. I didn't want to jinx myself. Oh well.

My legs are tired. I think Wed's high intensity hill workout is finally catching up to them. Luckily, no injuries or unnatural aches to report. Me ees just tired.

No comments: