Friday, September 16, 2005

Uphill/Downhill/Weekends

Join me in welcoming in a fine weekend! Hurrah for the end of a long week. Ive got a lite run this afternoon planned with Kim, sushi for dinner (an extra, extra special treat) and then tomorrow it's rest and hydration. I hope to with LM and Kim have full race report sometime Sunday.

Awhile back, after seeing on Jeff's and Scott's blogs about running downhill and uphill, I asked for more input. Getting very little, I decided to ask Bart Yasso, of Runner's World. He is designing the program I'm running as I prepare for Vegas.

Q: Today I did a hard hill workout. It got me to thinking about whether my form was OK. I think I may have hurt myself training for Vermont marathon by doing too many hill workouts. Is there a better downhill/uphill form?

A: The best way to run any hill up or down is to have your body over your feet.
I call it nose over toes.
You need to keep good posture and lean with the hill.
On the downhill it's harder on your body to hold back and break with your quads.
P.S. I have been meaning to write to tell you what an awesome runner you are and how thrilled I am to have you as part of my pilot class.

OK, I added the ps. but there's what he's got say, anyhow.

6 comments:

The (IRON) Clyde said...

That's the one thing most runners don't realize, and in my last race actually passed a group of 5 runners I was "trailing" as we came down the last hill and ended up beating the whole group. On downhills, let your legs just turn over as fast as they can. It does two things.

1. Makes you run faster.
2. Actually takes less of a toll on your legs and you'll have more energy than trying to brake on the hills. It's a win/win all around.

Well it looks like happy hour is calling my name...have a good weekend.

Cris said...

I was under the impression vegas is a flat marathon...?

About Me: said...

brooklyn....too funny. but it is! the thing is, though, hills are part of training. i cant always just race for flat courses (you may note i chose vegas precisely because it is flat. i'm trying to qualify for boston. and that ain't happening on challengig course. that probaly aint' happening in vegas either...but the odds are better. :-))
so hills training is part of future planning as well as just a good thing to practice (i think anyway)

Scott in Washington said...

I got passed a lot last weekend on the downhill and then I passed a lot of the same people going back up onto the bridge. At one point on the way down as I was passed by someone I thought, "Well thats not very gentlmanly." Wow, what a strange thought to have. I think I'll continue to take the downhills easy and brake when practicing and let it all go when I'm racing. I rarely get muscle tired anymore but I'm still nursing that ITB problem and my joints get cranky before my muscles or lungs give out.

Unknown said...

haha! love the added PS.

he's right about nose over toes. leaning forward on the downhill is tough to do, mentally, since it always feels like you're going to fall forward. but...it forces that quick turnover that dj was talking about.

About Me: said...

i almost lean back in my downhill runs, so as not to hurt my knees. sounds like that's not proper form.