Monday, September 26, 2005

Feed the birds, tuppence (twopence?) a bag...

Like Mary Poppins, I feel the winds are changing. Not just in the seasons, which today showed signs, evidenced by the slowly floating leaves that noiselessly landed in my path during the entire run, and the slight cool breeze that still managed to mix with enough humidity to drench my pigtails today less than 2 miles into my run

No, I'm also talking about the running winds. It's been a tough few weeks for runners I've been checking out. Hammies, ITB problems, inexplicable pain behind the knee. But this weekend, I seem to have been reading more 'Things have cleared up!' posts. I'm in there.

Today I had a 12 miler, longest so far. No pain. I mean, I can't believe how good the leg has been holding up. Maybe it's my gymnastics, the extra, extra, stretching or maybe cause somehow i always end up with an extra rest now and again (missed workouts. not good. but maybe good?). Anyhow, whatever it is I'll take it. And I'll even take the annoying chafing that happened on thighs today. Dumb running shorts!

couple questions, I'd welcome advice. Ive been having trouble eating before a scheduled long run. I practically gagged down a quarter balance bar today before deciding that was all i could eat. Same thing before my recent tri, when all i could manage was a 1/4 power bar. It's like, i chew and chew and chew and the pieces dont get smaller and I just get more and more nauseous. I've got a strong stomach, so I'm willing to try most suggestions. Any good liquid pre-long workout suggestions? oh, and after run too. I know i should eat right away, cause of the recovery thing, but again food is just the last thing I want. (Swallow whole, anyone?)

also, i'd love suggestions on running bras. I'm not small on top. i hope no one thinks i'm bragging here cause really, big ones suck for running. Suck. Id love a bra that has so much support it's like i'm a boy, that's how little movement there is.

While this is a few days late, happy fall! Snowboarding season is just around the corner...

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

some people advised me to wear a crop top over an underwire (I had a complete stranger comment on my foundations! can you believe it?) Anyway good luck
LBTEPA

Unknown said...

first off, congrats on the 12 miler, and good news that the leg is behaving!

okay, so advice. i've got two foods that i'll typically eat before a long run. either oatmeal, or a shake. oatmeal i take plain, add in some brown sugar and then dump in raisins and dried cranberries. the shake, which goes down VERY well, is easy to make. 2 cups orange juice, 1/2 cup - 1 cup of soy protien powder, 2 bananas, 1 cup of berries (raspberries, blackberries, etc), 1 scoop of ice cream. i'll add any other fruit laying around, like peaches, mellon, etc, but the above works great. the shake will fill two large glasses. fill one for before the run and stick the other in the fridge for afterward.

bras...well, i haven't worn them, but i often check out smsmh's. ooops...too much info, sorry. anyway, she wears the moving comfort running bras and loves them. she also has some of the champion one, but i don't think she said they don't support as well as the moving comfort ones.

Cris said...

hey jeff i'm going to try that shake.

in the meantime, i too have problems eating solids before and after a run. Typically I'll just suck down some powersnot 1/2hour before running, then some more at 1/2 hour intervals during a long run. Recovery has (lately) been a 16 oz of POM juice. I just ordered some Recoverite from e-caps.com I'll post in my blog how that goes down once it arrives.

Anonymous said...

PS I asked a super-duper fast running chick about her running bra at the gym last night and she recommended the 2-at-a-time method too (that's 7/8 of the people I've asked) so I'm giving that a try tomorrow. I don't run far enough to comment on the food thing. Good luck with Las Vegas!

LBTEPA

Beanie said...

Hello! My advice for eating after a run would be to wait 20-30 mins. By that time your nausea should have subsided, and the appetite-suppressant effect of exercising should have lifted. At least, that's what I find. Within half an hour, the protein you take in will still aid recovery :o)

About Me: said...

thanks for comments!

i'm headed to store this weekend to try out every brand mentioned here (no such thing as too much info when fashion is involved. especially under-body fashion). two bras might be the way to go. i've resisted, feeling it may be too restrictive but it may just be better than discomfort during and after run.

will def be trying shake/oatmeal and also pom juice (brooklyn i remember u said you were doing that - i meant to try it too). thanks for recipe, jeff! i ever tell you i made the mexican dish you suggested when i was on a ground beef only diet?

i'll keep posted for recoverite stuff. anything easy to get down before, during and after long workout i'm down to try.

ps mary poppins is classic, including to my grandma, who can't understand english...

About Me: said...

p.s. brit: i'm with the man on snowboarding. don't you have bad asthma? however, might you make a session or two at the end of season??? (asked eagerly)

The (IRON) Clyde said...

Ah yes, I can't wait for snowboarding, the leaves are turning colors here, anticipation is in the air, I just hope I don't break a leg, that would get in the way of my training.

As for the other topic, I do have several male friends who have man b00bs, but none of them wear bras while running, so I'm useless with advice in that area.