Tuesday, September 06, 2005

The 10 miler

Day 10, Cycle 3: Rest.
Yesterday, Sunday: Day 9, Cycle 3: Long Run, 10 miles, 90 minutes (give or take a minute).

I'm beginning to think I've not calculated my runs correctly. While 90 minutes isn't anywhere near blazing, it's about a 9 mile pace.. That seems faster than I was going since it was warm and I walked up steep hills. The ITB band has been tingling on steep hills. I think hills is where I hurt my leg last time around, when I was training for my May marathon.

By the time i dropped off J at airport, and waited for lunch to digest and nails to dry, it was 2. It was a warm day and by mile 3 I was really struggling. The first walk break around this time felt so good I wondered if I should just walk the rest of the time. I've been so focused on time lately I forget that running 10 miles is actually quite far and requires a little more mental preparation than I'd given.

Then as if i'd ordered it, a cloud cover dropped the temperature several degrees. It gave me a burst of energy and I ran semi-comfortably the rest of the time.

Yesterday I also added some gymnastics into my pre and post stretching. I did a back bend that i held for about 3 seconds before collapsing. Guess my wrists aren't as strong as they used to be. And I did some handstands against the wall, pulling my legs forward to stretch and strengthen legs and maybe lower back. I'm hoping that by improving my flexibility I'll be less prone to injuries. I'm not very flexible. I used to finish among the bottom in that sit and stretch thing we were tested on every year in school. i'm sore from my legs to my back to my shoulders. At least today is a rest day!

2 comments:

Cris said...

on the sit and stretch thing... ME TOO. All my life, I was a good three or four inches away from touching my toes.

The first day I was able to actually touch my toes straight-legged (and I don't have too many of those days still) I thought I'd cry for joy; it's the small victories tht count,r ight? (Phycical therapist still giving me hard time about "tight hamstrings" grumblegrumble)

So, cool! good for you! And also, sounds like your Sep 7 run was realaly very good -- without challenge, we don't get better, right!

Anonymous said...

AWESOME RUN!!! You're gonna kick some butt at VEGAS!!!! Miss ya! :)