Tuesday, September 20, 2005

finishes, finishers

Hi...Hi there.

If you're reading this, it's because you've stumbled across the FOURTH PLACE FINISHER in her age group in the sept. 18 patriots triathlon. I know, I never would have figured after my disastrous BIKE to have such a fabulously sounding finish...and yet, there it was on the results field. Like a gleaming star, a free martini, a full moon...

Are you wondering how many were in the field? No? You're just nodding along, perhaps smiling proudly, as you share my happiness? Thanks! I mean, being compared all the time takes its toll. How can one measure up if they're always being compared??? They can't, let me tell you.

FINE, there were 5!

So here are the splits:

.4 mile swim: 14:30 (88th out of 155 )
Thoughts: Not bad. Not bad a'tall. That's a 36.15 per mile pace, not far off from my college time, when I was in far better swimming shape. Next time, I will risk being kicked in the eye to shave off a few seconds.

T1: 2:20 (slowpoke)

15 mile bike: 1:04:44 13.9 (147th out of 155. holy elvis batman -stole line from drew -slowpokie!)
Thoughts: Well, no surprise here. My bike leg sucked. ALL HILLS, for which I was un-mentally prepared for, thanks to a bald-faced LIAR of a web site.

T2: :52 (you speed demon, you)

3.1 mile run: 25:51 8:20 (85th out of 155)
Thoughts: 8:20 pace. I missed goal by .51. What made this time neat, however, was my legs were shot after all these hills that were in the bike (not sure if i've mentioned the hills in the bike).

Total: 1:48:16

On Sunday, after my tri, my spirits were very low, spent day moping around. I didn't even feel like giving a race report -- EVER -- but i knew it had to be done, if only to tell the world about how misleading the web site was about this race.

I knew I had finished near the bottom of the pack because of how few people there were remaining. It was a blow to my confidence. I started doubting myself, why I do this, why do i suck. Times aren't the reason we train, or enter races...and yet, you want to hit what you know you're capable of doing. I felt I failed Sunday.

I didnt. I got out what I put in. Fair enough. I hope I kick future attitudes like my Sunday one to the curb.

I beat my first California tri times on swim and...bike! Yes, bike! I actually did a faster bike here on a mountain bike on a hard uphill course than I did on road bike in nearly flat course. I tied the run.

Final thought:

1. why must girls always be stuck with the dumb pink caps? pink does not match any racing suit i've ever had. and, it's 2005. let's get with the times! men wear pink quite comfortably all the time.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

rock on, partyrunner! congratulations on your fourth place finish! wooohooo!

i would gladly wear a pink cap for a tri. right along with my tight pink t-shirt that says, "real men wear pink".

The (IRON) Clyde said...

The thing you have to realize is that you are not racing the other people, you are racing yourself. (At least that's the way I go into races). There is always going to be some that are faster and some that are slower, that will never change, as long as you are beating your prior times, you are doing a good job. And by looking at your last paragraph, it looks like you are accomplishing that. Don't doubt yourself, as Lance Armstrong says, "Bicycling rewards experience" -- the longer you stay in this the better you get, and I can attest to that as well, especially in how my running has improved in the last year and half.

Congrats on the race, you faced a tough situation, dug deep, and came out on top, doing better than your prior race, you have nothing to hang your head about!!!!

Danny said...

Congrats!

Look what you did. Now I want to run a triathlon...

Tracy said...

GO YOU! Wow, that's a kickin' placement! You must party now :)

Anonymous said...

Hey Partyrunner!
Haven't talked to you in a while! I am so glad you are enjoying getting in shape (all but the #@*&**#!! hills). You complain, but I know you and you wouldn't be doing this unless you loved it. Of course, couch potato me can't give any advice, only encouragement. The races you've particpated in sound HARD, and I'm proud of your resolve to get the job done. Take care!

Scott in Washington said...

"It was a blow to my confidence" What? That you're a triathlete? Thats friggin awesome! Good Job! Maybe after Vegas I'll try something like that. The fact that you did it will also training for a marathon is even more impressive.