Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Hills and Holes

Woke up happy and refreshed at 9:50 a.m. (i know, to the trains leaving daily at 4 a.m. and the west coast bloggers having already done their runs by now that sounds impossibly late). ate half a cliff bar, half a cup of coffee. Did dishes and stretched as I waited for food to digest. Already, my morning was more productive than yesterday so it's already a good day.

It's 2 miles to my favorite runnig spot, the parkway, where I do 85% of my trainig. The parkway's ideal for its streams, shade from the many trees, wildlife (today spotted several baby chipmunks!) and the runnnig terrain is a soft mix of dirt, pebbles, and gravel. The 2 miles there however, are straight up and down hills. I'd say maybe 15% of the run is flat. It's tough. Well, I should say, the uphills are tough.

So today was two back and forths to the parkway (for 8 miles) and a mile loop at parkway for a little extra distance.

The first 5 miles were OK. I ran to parkway, did loop and headed back to start. Now it was time to head back to parkway for final loop. Around mile 5 1/2, my legs turned to jello. They were barely moving yet i was panting, mouth wide open as i struggled to get more breath. My workout called for "good effort," luckily nothing was said about speed. My thighs burned but I willed my body -- "just a 1/2 a block to the downhill" I promised it. I made it to the top but then had to walk to catch my breath. At mile 7, I reached the parkway again, took a drink from the fountain...and braced myself for the 2-mile run home. I took several deep breaths, gave myself a little pep talk, and off i flew.

haha, flew. Sometimes I wonder how i look during these runs, pushing so hard, panting, mouth hung open and tongue partially out...yet not going anywhere.

Got home and saw my fine running socks had a hole in big toe! I resist buying running gadgets, watch, etc feeling they are merely a ploy by running stores to empty my wallet. Like expensive socks. My six cotton pairs for $6 were more than good enough for me, I decided. Then, when I got to my first long runs, I couldnt's top blistering. I explained the blisters as well as my theories on buying running gear to the kind man at the running store last time i bought shoes. he was polite, then said yes, but these socks can really cut down on blistering. he threw in a pair with my purchase. instantly, the blisters disappeared. Ta da! I am hooked.

Now I need to buy one of those pedometer+'s flatman and scott have. Unless I'm at gym I never know how fast i'm going. Like today's run was 81 minutes. Did I slow down a lot at the end? Or start slow to save energy and turn it on at the end? Who knows? But i'd certainly like to.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

heyyy, I use cotton too-but thanks to your blog-I now realize why on my 15 miler+ runs I get blisters.....duhhh.