Thursday, September 01, 2005

She will qualify, she will not qualify...

Said in the singsong voice of 'She loves me, she loves me not' plucking flower petals.

Day 4, Cycle 3: 5 Minute Easy (9:31 pace), 20 minutes marathon pace (8:19), 5 minute easy (9:29).

Because we were headed out for LM's going away celebration (:-() and I got held up at work, I rushed in workout. Glad i got a little something in, but it was half of what I was supposed to do.

Thoughts are random on the treadmill, particularly if you're like me and you don't listen to music. I started doing calculations during my 20-minute marathon pace portion: based on 20-minute intervals, and my goal of a 3:40 finish time, that's really only 11 chunks of 20-minute runs, 10 more than I did last night. Sure last night I added wrong and thought it was 10 chunks of 20-minute runs but no matter. i've fixed that now. Easy cheesy.

Also though on the treadmill: I can qualify for Boston, i can't qualify for Boston. I can qualify for Boston, I can't qualify for Boston.

my goal of 3:40 is quite ambitious. My marathon time was 4:16, a 9:48 average pace (not to make excuses but was running injured). I did my half marathon in a far closer-to-hopeful-time of 1:50, or 8:33 pace. My training first time around averaged a 9 or just under pace. This time I'm on a tougher schedule. They say not to expect to cut off major chunks of time (36 minutes may for some be considered a major chunk of time).

In the bottom of my thought pool, there is a part of me that thinks it's rather unrealistic to try for 3:40. Next to that thought, there's a little part that thinks maybe I can qualify.

Well, nothing to do but go train.

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

I know nothing about running for time/speed, but it sounds like you are working hard to accomplisy a lofty goal!

Unknown said...

i'll give you some hope. here are the times for my marathons when i was running for time:

4:33
4:12
3:53
3:33

as you can see, i took huge chunks of time off, and it wasn't until this last one that i was truly training "hard". it's doable. and you can pull it off.

About Me: said...

thank you for encouragement, stephanie.

jeff: amazing chunk reduction. an hour in four races. wow. you give me hope!

Anonymous said...

word of advice: the harder you train...the better your race will be. It all comes down to how bad you want to qualify...I believe you can but you have to want to bad enough and train hard enough-you have the ability! I know you do...I remember qualifying for boston...I never wanted anything more-you can do it but you have to believe you can! the rest will follow.....I want a buddy to come with me to BOSTON!