Saturday, October 29, 2005

Brooks 5 and me go together like peas in a pod

OK, shoe situation = resolved.

Feeling empowered by the extremely helpful comments, I opted to return the shoes. The guy working the counter was neither the dude who ordered them for me nor the one who told me the Brooks 6 were just like the Brooks 5 only with different colors.

Totally untrue, I learn in my visit. I told the guy I'd heard the shoes were more narrow and maybe that was the problem. He pulls out a 5 (they only have small sizes left) and the 6 and we play with both. It becomes apparent the changes are actually quite noticeable. We bend both; the 6s are far stiffer, he points out. And there's more padding on the bottom of the middle part of the sole of the shoe, exactly where I blistered!

"He shouldn't have told you the changes are cosmetic. They're actually quite different," he tells me.

Aha! What a feeling of relief. I knew they seemed stiffer! I knew they were just not right! I thought it was really just in my head and I was like, 'get over it already!'

I walk out feeling a million bucks. Of course now I have no running shoes. But then...

I make a frantic, frenzied attept to find them online. Several missed hits later, I decide to go to the most obvious source -- brooks online. Minutes later I've got a new pair of precious Brooks 5 on their way for me to have and to hold and three pairs of running socks. With shipping I've still paid $1 less than I did for the 6s!

So here's the deal, my soon to be darling little shoes. You and me are gonna be together every second for the next few weeks. It's going to be me and you at work, me and you lounging in the house, me and you going to the mountains to look at the leaves, me and you at the bar. You will be my dear friend, darling, sweet Brooks 5. I will treasure my time with you, for you may be my last 5s ever. I cant afford to buy several pairs at once and I'm not sure you'll be around next time I need a new you.

Together, you and me will take on Vegas.

My training programs calls for a 3 week taper. But it'll be more like two and a half weeks because my last long run -- i'm only going to make it to 18 -- is on a Wednesday.

Today it's a 15 miler. At least, I think it is. May be pushed to tomorrow. I've got a gogo dancer costume to get ready....

Your advice and comments were not only much very much needed but much, much appreciated. Thank you guys! If you need any advice about Brooks 5 vs 6, you know where to turn.

9 comments:

Kurt in Boston said...

I really liked my Brooks 5's. When I went to get new shoes the other day, all they had were the 6's. But since you described the difference, I think I'm glad I ended up with the Radius. They've felt very good so far.

And way to go on the 5K!

Scott in Washington said...

Not that I can afford to do it either, but your tale makes me want to go buy 3-4 pairs of size 14 5s now, while I still can, and stash them in my bunker.

E-Speed said...

I am glad you posted about it now I know to eitehr find the 5's or look for something else!

Kurt in Boston said...

Roadrunner still advertises the Adrenaline 5's for $69.99 ($62.99 if you're a VIP member). [roadrunnersports.com]

Unknown said...

awesome news! glad they didn't put up a fight with you returning the shoes.

About Me: said...

thanks, and thanks for your support yet again!

brit-someone else told me that but i'm not sure what the problem is...

kurt, thanks for web site advice. i tried them but they had no 8.5, much to my utter dismay and momentary panic

D said...

Ah - it is so nice when you find a shoe that fits and works!

Anonymous said...

Ya know I had a similar experience with the Brooks 4 vs. 5. I loved my 4s and that's still all I buy.

The (IRON) Clyde said...

Glad things worked out for...

Brooks kicks all forms of a$$.