Sunday, October 02, 2005

3 Eyes, none looking West

I've got one eye on my triathlon 2006 season, one on the slopes and the third on the turmoil of my love life.

You might note that's an extra eye. you might also note there is no eye directed at vegas.

so saturday kim and i head to local bike flea market. Bikes, wheels, frames, gloves, shirts, shorts as far as the eye can see. Immediately we are overwhelmed. I am certainly not prepared to drop a grand or two on a bike and even if i had it, what kind would i get? What kind should i get? How can two pounds of metal or whatever bike frames are made of cost $3,575?

"I wish this was for runners," i tell Kim.
"That's why they call it a bike flea market," she tells me back.

We wander around, thinking we've misspent a good $5 getting in till we find a spot where we are much more at home: fashion. And what great, fantastic deals they are! I spend approximately 45 minutes debating over whether i should get a dark blue or turquoise tri suit. It's my FIRST tri suit so this is a big decision. Not the color of course, but getting one in the first place. Why the hesitation? How will a bike shorts connected to swim suit look? Bike shorts are notoriously unflattering. Notoriously. I mean, i like the idea of saving time between transistions because I've got one outfit for all, but how will it look? Thus the 45 minute delay (there are no dressing rooms. holding up one suit after the other is quite helpful as you may imagine).

Meanwhile, Kim scoops up some running tights, a hat and a bathing suit ($15 for great brand. you can't beat it!).

So I buy the blue tri suit (by the way, it does'nt look half bad i discover when i model at home. phew), a few hats, a coupla shirts. And what do I see but a snowboard stand, the only one there. I model a tight olive green jacket and twirl and twirl using kim's sunglasses as my mirror. Another 45 minutes pass (i am not the quickest decisionmaker), and I'm walking out with a FAT new snowboarding jacket, excellent brand, for $50 smackaroos! What a great deal.

It's not until today that I discover I've depleted my extras budget for the pay period WITHOUT BUYING NEW RUNNING SHOES. Im really pushing my old pair. I've had them 7 months and I know they're near or just past the recommended milage. Now I'll have to wait 2 more weeks. That's how distracted, and rather unmotivated, i seem to have become in my training.

A little heartache, some confusion, a little cold, etc, can do that to you.

Tonight there are two things on my mind:
1. I love the San Diego Chargers. And the Eagles. Today they both did me right. It's such a treat to have a good Chargers team and such a delight to now be living in the home team of a fine run organization like Philly. San Diego is not known for its tighly run athletics. May it last.
2. Are we doomed to repeat our parent's mistakes? Though we have the best interests and strongest convictions in our hearts, do they simply fall by the wayside in the inevitable complications of life and years of upbringing?
I look for no answers or comments on the final thought.
Like I said, that's what's on my mind tonight.

6 comments:

a.maria said...

few things.

1. i went snowboarding for the first time in february and can't wait to do it again. if you heard the story.... you'd pee your pants laughing so hard. seriously. it was that bad (funny/bad!)... maybe i'll post it to cheer you up about YOUR number two. its good stuff.

2. how can someone that races triathlons not look good in spandex..ya know?! ;)

3. vegas = trouble (best kind of trouble!!)

nyflygirl said...

running/sports fashion=dangerous.to.me. i can't even walk into niketown without wanting to buy everything. and don't get me started on the fact that i get a 10% discount to some of the local running shops with my NYRR membership :)

as far as feeling unmotivated...i know how the boy situation can do that to you, seemed like the story of my life in '05. i ran my half-marathon PR when dating a guy, then seemed to be in a slump when that ended, then seemed to be doing better when i got closure with that guy and developed a crush on another...only to be crushed again when that one didnt seem to develop into anything.

love and running...so parallel, who knew? hope things turn around for you in both departments soon!! :)

Unknown said...

i had to stop watching the sd game when they were 17-17...i nearly cried with joy when i saw the final score.

and philly, again, amazing.

i won't comment on the fashion stuff, since i don't pick out my own clothes. =)

but i will comment on following in our parents mistakes. more than half the struggle is identifying the cycle. once it's identified, the execution of breaking that cycle isn't nearly as hard. best of luck!

About Me: said...

sissie quit being so funny. i can't stop laughing.

alejandra - would love to hear snow story. i KNOW it's funny based on previous posts.

flygirl, is discount transferable. and ya, i think you've inspired a future post...love and running.

jeff as always are full of thoughtfulness and helpful advice. thanks for that

Scott in Washington said...

Fashion.. one of my main money sucks when I'm not spending money on home renno projects. uggh.

One thing I can add on the parent/child cycle is that once you have kids of your own, the desire to not repeat the errors of your parents intensifies and at the same time you/(I) begin to forgive, somewhat, your/my parents their few failures.

Snowboarding rocks. I ride a fatty Burton long board because I have such big feet. My wife is way faster than me except when she is pregnant, when I refuse to go to the slopes with her, hence our absence from said runs for the past two years.

About Me: said...

hey scott if you get this, would love model of your board. my boy got annoyed with his board cause he felt it was too narrow and his big feet were messing him up on the right turns.

and ya, scott, i wouldnt' trade my parents for anyone, just would wish not to repeat certain things...nothing to hold against them just not something i want to repeat. i love my vagueness.

ps would brit kiss your ass even pregnant snowboardoing, if you let her. :-) ?