Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Brace face heads to vegas/trouble in shoeland

Geez, what is it about braces and races? Days before my Vermont marathon I was supposed to get my bottom braces. But i decided to hold off until after the race. Didn't want anything additional to worry about. But now i've got the top braces scheduled to come on five days before Vegas. What a drag. No brace jokes, Vegas-bounders! (ok, fine. i mean, i'd make em...).

And now, dear bloggers, i unabashedly beg for your advice.

Dear runnners,
I'm very torn about my running shoes. I got Brooks 6 from my local running store. I'd gone in for Brooks 5 but they were out so they had to order them. When I opened the box the day I went to pick them up, I gasped when I saw they were different. I was assured the changes were cosmetic and yet...they don't feel right. They blistered me the first time and they just feel stiff and bulky and not right. Is this mental? ive run them twice, first time for hard hill workout (yes, not best idea) and once for two lite 15 minute runs in between a 50 minute hard run (i switched shoes for the 50 min. chunk).

Am I prematurely worried? Am honestly thinking of returning them. I've only worn them on the treadmill and never walked ground with them. Ugh. Thoughts? Suggestions? I feel bad returning them but i don't have any wiggle room to play with shoes with Vegas 40ish days away. And honestly I'm a bit annoyed I got shoes I didnt actually order in the first place. I didn't see any need to make a fuss cause salesguy said changes were unnoticeable. I just remember the second I put on my 5s it seemed we were made for one another. My soul-shoe.

Return? Give them a few more tries?

Signed,
Cheating on my 5s

9 comments:

The (IRON) Clyde said...

This really saddens me...I have both pairs and both feel the same to me. Is the width the same on both pairs of shoes you bought? I would think the running store wouldn't overlook that, but these shoes do come in different widths.

My fat a$$ feet are 2E...that's the only thing I can think of.

nyflygirl said...

my suggestion-find somewhere-be it online or retail-where you can get the 5's in time for the marathon. sometimes even the littlest upgrade can make a difference...but sounds to me like you'll have more experimentation time with new models after Vegas.

(praying that whenever the Asics 2110s come out, that they are as great as the 2100s)

Unknown said...

you know what? those salespeople know better than to say, "it's purely cosmetic". if you asked for the 5's and they gave you the 6's and fed you that line just to make the sale, take them back.

if you can't find the 5's locally, check some of the online stores, like roadrunnersports.com. they carry a wide selection of retail discontinued styles.

E-Speed said...

I would take them back, Brooks has a 30 day trial period so you should get your money back no questions asked. Try and get them to get the 5's in for you ASAP, I know they are still floating around. Try on another pair of 6 too, you may have just gotten a freak pair. My last pair of grid hurricane's practically rubbed my ankle raw (to the point of bruising), but I had never had a problem with any others.

How many miles are on your current 5's? You may want to just do a light run in them every week (alternating with another pair) till the marathon so that you can do the marathon in the shoes you like..

Good Luck!

Beanie said...

Yup, I agree with the taking them back. I switched to the 6 from the 5 and it worked fine for me, but everyone's needs are unique. You have time to find the right ones for you and break them in.

LeahC said...

I read on one of the runner's world forums that they did in fact narrow the Brooks Adrenaline 6's. I loved the adrenaline 5's but at switched the asics 2100. I was going to go back to the adrenalines but with the word being that they are not as comfortable I'll have to think about it more. I would totally return them though if they feel bad. Good Luck

this gal said...

man, i remember my braces days.

i still pick the chicken off chicken wings with my fingers, and i still rip pieces of a sandwich off. i never bite into anything.

it's so weird that i became that accustomed to it.

Sarah said...

I would take them back. Is it a running store that could fit you or recommend another shoe for you in case you cant find the old ones anywhere? Hopefully so.

Scott in Washington said...

Whats your problem you whiner! Just get out there and run!

OK, I just wanted to say something different from the 13 other people that said, "Take 'em back!"

take em back

When you do get another pair of 5's, wear them around the house for 20 hours or so. Wear them to work if you can get away with it, and take them for a walk. I have no right giving you advice, having never yet run IT, but I was surprised at how much breaking in my first pair of real distance shoes needed before the rubbing and shin pain and all that subsided - way worse that hiking boots in that respect.

Vegas!