Sunday, January 29, 2006

Bar talk

It’s not every night you go to a bar and get asked your BMI, but here in Pennsylvania, I’ve come to accept such oddities as a way of life. When I offer a perplexed look to the one who asks, as normally as if he’s offering to buy me a drink, he tells me it’s body mass index, you know, how much fat is on your body. I know what it is, I tell him, I just don’t know mine.

The regulars were out Friday night, along with a couple new guys. One of the regulars is training for his first half marathon, so every week we exchange updates. The two new guys are huge fitness buffs, both avid, extreme skiers. I began chatting with one about running, how much I love it, how now it’s so much a part of me when it’s missing or I have skimped on it, I immediately notice all kinds of adverse effects. He so gets me. He used to feel that way when he was a lifter. I love meeting people who so get me that way.

So ya, BMI. When my friend tells them I’m a marathon runner they are impressed (ahem). They ask my PR, average pace. I eagerly answer. They are again impressed (AHEM!). Because I have noticed both of them eyeing me up and down (and I don’t mean in a, I’m-checking-you-out kinda way. I’m talking like how a coach would look at the body of their athlete, like, analyzing it). I tell them runners come in all shapes and sizes. One says, No, you’re slender. I mean, you have broad shoulders, a little bit on your belly but you look fit.

I am not sure why they are so instantly comfortable with me.

One guy, I think his name was Eric but I’m just not sure, gets like so, so, so excited and decides he wants to do his first half marathon too. Cool, I say. We agree to go running, he takes my number.

Saturday morning, I lose my cell phone, having lost it somewhere from my apartment to my truck. Damnit to all hell. With this in mind, I offer a Sunday helpful tip of the week: SAVE ALL YOUR CELL PHONE NUMBERS SOMEPLACE OTHER THAN YOUR PHONE. Or you may end up like me, with only two numbers memorized.

Hmmm, who should I call, my sister or my parents…

8 comments:

Deene said...

a fine time for that silly phone to get lost! maybe he'll return to the bar and then you can write his number on a cocktail napkin :)

Sixteen Chickens said...

And the PartyRunner is sooooo back! :) Too bad about the phone, but I'm sure it will turn up. Maybe that guy at the bar stole it?

Dr. Iron TriFeist :) said...

Sounds like you're in with those guys!

I hear you about the cel phone. Just switched carriers and is it a PAIN to program the numbers into the new phone. Maybe I'll add them to the Palm Pilot while I'm at it.

a.maria said...

lol. nice... i love how runners are always so bonded... as soon as you find out someone's a runner, its like OMG!!! you're one of US!!!!

good luck finding the phone. suckage on that one!

Jim said...

hmmmmm . . . maybe there is something to that old "I lost the number" excuse!:)

I've been watching your blog for a while and I must say it is interesting. I think I started watching your blog after I ran across Amy's blog.

There is no feeling like being among your own and being respected by your peers. AWESOME!

please feel free to stop by and check out my blog.

Jim

Okolo said...

If you haven't found your phone yet, you can always check your voice mail from any phone and see if he called. (if you care...)

A lot of folks now say BMI is bunk, but you can check yours here:

http://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/dnpa/bmi/calc-bmi.htm

Scott in Washington said...

Hey,

Thanks for writing your blog. I was catching up on my blog roll yesterday and I got motivated enough to hit the trail myself.

SD

And yes, runners are goofy sometimes but in a good way.

Unknown said...

call me! call me! what, you didn't memorize my number?!