Wednesday, January 11, 2006

NYR, the OC, TGK

Today was “New Years Resolutioners" night at my gym. How else to explain that I landed the final available treadmill at 8:45 p.m. and my mega gym has 22 treadmills (I counted em) and approximately 56 bikes and 45 elliptics/crosstrainers?

Yes, it’s that time of the year. When people, armed with firm decisions, sign up in a moment of triumph. This year will be different, they pledge. For it’s days into a new year. And anything is possible, the weight loss, the toning up, the hours at the gym, the possibility one may eat less cheese, drink less beer, pay bills in a timely manner, pay off credit card debt!

Wait. So ya, about those NYR gym folks.

I read a NYTimes article last year on the topic. People were whining about how they can’t get on any equipment because the newbies want to (horrors) become healthy and feel good too. Then they quoted a couple of managers saying that by February, things die down.

I hope those NYR gym folks stick around. But I’ll just give one tip (insert snob): drinking an energy shake the moment you walk in coupled with a 10-minute bike ride is a good start. But uh, you may need a bit more.

In brief:
Jeff, awesome, studly Jeff, completed the OC marathon Sunday with a time of 3:15. To save anyone from doing math, that’s like a 7:20ish pace. And…Boston qualifying time! I wish I’d been there as I'd planned, but I thought about you all morning, buddy. You rock.

I am runner up in Kahuna’s best non tri blog geekie awards (think that’s what they’re called). If I am not to finish first, and who doesn’t like to finish first, I am glad the honor goes to Alejandra over there in Kansas, a charming, deliciously optimistic gal.
But (and if you’re not Kahuna don’t read this)… since you know me, is that like cheating that I won? I feel sort of like a fraud. I mean, don’t get me wrong. I’m not saying my blog’s boring, necessarily, just saying…

7 comments:

mouse said...

I'm pretty sure eating less cheese and drinking less beer is a sin.

I think it's somewhere in the new New Testament. I'm not sure, though, because I'm too busy eating the block of Muenster cheese that I bought to look...

a.maria said...

re: NYR's.....february can't come soon enough!!

Rae said...

For some reason the New Year is having the opposite effect on our corporate gym! Before Christmas there were usually 3 people at any given time on the 5 treadmills we have, ever since Christmas I've been the only person on there most of the time! Crazy!

Congrats on your award, woo hoo!!

nyflygirl said...

yep, one of the spinning instructors said to us to make sure to sign up for the classes, as it will probably be more mobbed for most of january. not to mention my pre-running days when there were mad lines for the cardio machines.

ShesAlwaysWrite said...

Nice to know I'm not the only one who gets irritated with the NYR-ers. I feel bad about begrudging them space at "my" gym... but it's an inky dinky gym with only 6 treadmills, and only 1 of them is any good. And don't get me started on them floating randomly around the pool (or worse, water jogging on the diagonal), completely ignoring the lane lines and messing up my workout.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, it was packed in my gym the last week... but then, I took a vacation from the gym over the Christmas break, so I suppose I can't really talk about "newbies."
Joy B.

William Lobdell said...

It's called a Tri-Bloggie and received the honor strictly on your merits.