Tuesday, January 24, 2006

a new venture

Well, it seems the NYRs (new years resolutioners) have disappeared. That was fast. My gym was quiet tonight, save for a guy doing wanna be back flips on the mats.

I’m pleased to report I ran today despite being sleeeeeepy. An erratic work schedule and social schedule (I am far too old to be staying out until 6 a.m. I actually woke up at 1:30 p.m. on Sunday, which didn’t give me enough time to go grocery shopping before the Steelers game. I am aging before my very eyes. And I missed the entire first half) means my sleeping pattern is completely off. But once again, running energized me. It just felt good to run. Am I the only one who’ll be on the treadmill and be like, ‘I ran a marathon. I run marathons.’ ? Geez, get a life already.

At my newspaper, and at many others, we have blogs. We have one on Penn St. football, during the season, one from a local Marine serving in Iraq, etc. I pitched a running and fitness blog to my editor. He loved the idea. I figured it could be like this blog. I mean, I’m not gonna talk about what I ate for dinner – it’s rather embarrassing some nights – or how I was out until 6 a.m. – then editor will think if I’m tired one day at work it’s cause I went out. But I could post kind of like what I do here, just more officially-like. For example, I recently posted on how I’d like a bigger butt. I could talk to a couple of experts and offer real word advice on getting a bigger butt.

Or I could talk about trying out new sports. For instance, Kim and I recently tried out Nordic. That’s a sport developed by cross country skiers to train in the offseason when there is no snow.

I could also post local racing schedules?

Another idea I had was to track a couple of runners as they prepare for the Allentown half marathon. I have 2 or 3 friends that will be doing that race, their first race ever.

Nothing I’ve posted sounds really exciting, particularly to the running/tri community. If you’re like me, you read a lot about training and stuff. If anyone has any thought or suggestions, I’d love to hear them.

5 comments:

LeahC said...

That's so funny, I was out until 4:30 on Saturday night as was totally screwed up on Sunday. I ran around noon I think, and then was napping like a 5pm or something...that's not right!

I love the idea of a running/fitness blog at a newspaper. I think for a lot of runners trying to balance a social, work, personal and running life can be tough, so I think it's great to have a blog out there that deals with those issues.

Your could have reviews of different training programs, either ones that you have tried or friends have tried for different distances. I think a lot of people go, well I could never run a half marathon (or whatever distance) but maybe having different level training programs available would entice readers to try them out...and keep reading the site.

good luck and great idea!

Unknown said...

hey, very cool that the newpaper will host a fitness blog. i like the ideas that you've listed so far, since the majority of the readers may not be like the running blog community that obsesses about training =)

add in healthy fuel for fitness (recipes, recovery meals, etc), ways to balance your schedule, training tips, etc.

good luck!

Rae said...

I think your ideas sounds great. One of our local newschannels has a blog that links to all the local blogs. Sometimes she'll feature Brent and I's training which is always very exciting!!

Anonymous said...

Write about how wonderful the copy editors at the paper are.

Josh Dysart said...

I do the same thing on the treadmill all of the time. I really helps in making me validate why I'm running and not sitting on my butt like so many of my friends. And really, your fitness blog should just be about you working towards your goals - the ups and downs - balancing, work, social life and fitness. But, that's just my opinion.