Thursday, November 10, 2005

What else? Vegas!

First things first. Look to the right. I just found another Vegas-bound blogger. His name is Brooks, just like my favorite shoe! He’s got a sidebar that lists several handicaps. Among them:

I am a bad runner
I smoke
i drink
i weigh 220 lbs
my 30th birthday is nov. 1

Welcome Brooks to the Vegas coalition! Always thrilled to find fellow Vegas-ites and drinkers.

Guess how long little miss thing followed Perfect 10’s final cycle? Um, ya. I didn’t.

Confessional: I did not folo a single cycle perfectly my entire training program. End Confessional.

Start excuse: Bart Yasso never sent me Cycle 10! He musta forgot. But I’ve got a good thing going. I mean, I’m really just following his program, just unofficially.

I’m a guinea pig for the program, which Yasso has said will be featured in a soon-to-be Runner’s World. When I first heard I was selected to train, I had visions of magazine covers (what would I wear?) and more importantly, I thought i was getting my own, practically private, running coach! Alas, it was not to be. All he did was email me my cycles and alone I ran. No glamour, no personal visits, no magazine covers.

I had an excellent hard hill run on Tuesday. I hope I don’t mess things up by writing this, but I feel so confident and strong right now. I ran hard but even with tough hills I think I averaged 9 minute pace for the almost 9-mile run. Two more hard workouts, coupla easies and a coupla XT and viola! Taper!

OK so if you’ve missed (and you probably haven’t) check out Danny's NYC report. Danny’s been the unofficial RBF (running blog family) doctor. Anytime you’ve got an ailment -- too much sweat, under/over hydrated, the pros/cons of PT -- he’s usually got a helpful post. His grandma was there to watch him. Ah...

Seems a lot of RBF’s have done the big races, at least some of them. Yvonne's currently in the lead... I started to wonder, though, would I even enjoy a big race? I guess I’ll find out. Im running a Philly 8k Nov. 20. The marathon’s also that day so it will be heavily attended. First populated race.

Running partner Kim wants to match her 5k pace of 9:18 at the Philly race, a very quick time for someone in the sport all of two months. I’ve offered to pace her. I know, sounds like a generous offer but my motives are selfish. Knowing me, I’ll try something crazy like attempt a sub 7-minute mile (or die trying). Two weeks before my marathon, not smart. But I do non smart things like that. That’s just me.

13 comments:

Simba's Mom said...

I love big races! My favorite race thus far was the Shamrock Shuffle 8k here in Chicago that was about 20,000 runners. It is quite an amazing feeling to see all the runners out in front of you, filling the whole width of the street. Plus more runners usually means more people on the sidelines to cheer you on!

mouse said...

haha! I HATE big races! I always get really, really irritated by all the stupid people who go out supersupersuper fast and then stop to walk in the middle of the course (most likely RIGHT in front of me) because they get tired. It's not horrible at first, but after like 20 miles I get really bothered by having to weave my way around people.

but then again, maybe I'm just easily irritable.

Danny said...

just imagine if my grandmother knew about this whole internet thing...

E-Speed said...

Great Job on the 9 miler! Sounds like you are doing fine despite not following "the program"

Have fun at the 8K!

The (IRON) Clyde said...

I'm getting excited for Vegas and I'm not even going, can't wait to read about it.

Beanie said...

Thanks for the shout! I'm going to have to do a small race some day so I can compare. Every single NYC race has thousands of entrants. I love your confessional =)

nyflygirl said...

Hey-I also saw your Brooks 5 on sale at holabirdsports.com i just picked up a nice pair of tights and a good deal on my asics 2100s there and the shipping is pretty low!! something to bookmark for the future.

a.maria said...

hey, non-smart things are what make us so fun! ;)

sounds like vegas'll be fun (when is vegas NOT fun?!).... oh, to be running again.

i guess for now i'll just live vicariously thru you!

and by the by, got the "logo" this past wednesday... still trying to figure out pics?!

this gal said...

wow my list of handicaps would be so long...

Anonymous said...

hey, shoot me an email and i'll send you a pic of that "logo"... got it last wednesday! LOVE. IT.

a.maria said...

what? i'm not anonymous. the "logo" comment is from me! dunno what happened there!

LeahC said...

When I first heard I was selected to train, I had visions of magazine covers (what would I wear?)

ha ha ha. excellent.

good luck in your upcoming 8K. I think that is such a fun distance. I ran one last year (Chicago Shamrock Shuffle, which was a total blast), but anyways It's just fun to go wait, I only have 3 miles left....I don't have to slow down to conserve energy.

About Me: said...

knowing me, i'd be person where runner stopped right in front of me. we shall see...

thanks for all the helpful advice re: brooks! i tried a couple difft ones. problem is, my size, 8.5, seems to be quite average and they're always out of it!

thanks for notes, encouragement and of course, look forward to seeing 'logo'