Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Trophies and Turkeys

And so today, the day before my favorite holiday, I offer the requisite Thanksgiving blog. My paper’s competition does a weekly trophies and turkeys column, recognizing the good and bad local people or organizations have done.

Here’s mine:

Trophies...
a loving mother
a doting father
a strong grandma
a best friend that is also my sister
my brother (i guess)
my darling friends
my health and ability to run, bike, swim, dance, snowboard, twirl in the rain
that happiness and laughter fill my life
my job which also includes a boss i greatly respect and admire
the fortunate circumstances of my birth, that i never had to worry about the next meal, where i’d sleep or whether our lights or heat would be turned off
beer (i’m reminded of a polka song ‘in heaven there is no beer...that’s why we drink it here...’)
the mob, for creating Las Vegas as we know it
brooks 5

Turkeys...
my temper
my impatience
the way i procrastinate
the way i sometimes let the little things get me all (unnecessarily) riled up
crashing into a guardrail earlier this week because i’m so distracted
breaking up
having to get up at 4 a.m. to be outside a large chain store at 4:30 a.m. because you’re covering Black Friday
male colleagues who do not flush the unisex bathroom
the mob, for bullying and killing people
Brooks 6

I’m headed to Kim’s for Thanksgiving with she and her family. There promises to be much food (my first fried turkey!), much booze (bloody mary, anyone?) much football (bring it!) and best of all, a house loaded with people!

May you all have a blessed holiday full of laughter, family and friends. And if you’re unable to be with family or friends, know that someone’s thinking of you and wishing you well...

3 comments:

Sixteen Chickens said...

unisex bathrooms ewwww ewwww ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww! There aren't enough turkeys for them!

nyflygirl said...

list the list, girlie :)

happy turkey day!!

a.maria said...

bloody mary?! ummm...YEAH!! dont mind if i doooooo!!

happy thanksgiving!