Monday, November 07, 2005

The Final Cycle

Today, Monday, Nov. 7 is the start of el fin, Cycle 10, the final cycle before my taper for dec. 4 vegas marathon. I've mentioned before I've been following a plan called 'Perfect 10,' developed by Bart Yasso of Runner's World. It's based on a 10 day, rather than a 7 day training guide. The thought behind it is that one long run every 7 days is hard on your body and rest must be a crucial component of training.

This'll put my final long run, around 18 miles somewhere mid next week.

It’s funny I should say ‘following’ because yours truly hasn’t really been following it very well at all. Loyal readers of this site may have noticed I have not updated my sidebar that lists planned vs actual training for some time now. The reason is because sometime in mid October I went outta town for a mere two days which nonetheless served to throw me completely out of whack. So for two+ weeks I’ve been following something I call ‘arlene’s guide to running’ which sort of mixes and matches my speed workouts, my hills workouts, my easies, my cross training depending on how I feel for the day. It’s a variation of bart’s schedule. Only, well, not as rigid really.

But today Ive decided to folo the last 10 days of my cycle to the T. This challenge, should I choose to accept it, means this cycle would be the first time I’ve done so since I began in earnest training in August. I’ll give it a whirl.

Anyone catch the NYC marathon coverage yesterday? Ive decided I must do the big 5: Boston, NYC, Chicago, Berlin and London. That’s another new goal. Id like to finish all 5 by somewhere in 2009. who’s with me (Elizabeth who recently decided to tackle a half IM next year, probably is.)!?!?

in my non running life, things are plugging along. I’m moving in with a friend, I think, in December, right after the marathon. She’s my running coach LM’s old roomie. The timing worked out well. She’s got a darling little cozy house, which means I wont have come home to empty apartment around the holidays. My boy heads to Minnesota when I move.

And last but not least, I love week 9 (heard in the background on ESPN). The Chargers are ready to make their move, despite giving me a little bit of a scare in yesterday’s win over the hapless Jets. I love Sundays, I love football, I love the Chargers. I can’t stand TO.

7 comments:

The (IRON) Clyde said...

Did I see that you're thinking about Steelhead?

I say go for it, it's supppose to be a great race and I know at least 4 other bloggers who are going to be there.....good stuff.

Scott in Washington said...

Woohoo! Heres to the final cycle. See you at the bottom of the hill.

E-Speed said...

I am definitely up for Chicago and NYC. Not sure about London and Berlin. Those may have to come later than 2009 for me (a girl has gotta have spending money!) But I bet I could convince the hubby on Berlin. London might be tough :)

I am thinking Chicago next year. I think I will save NYC for when I start to slow down a bit. Gotta go do Detroit at some point since Mi is my home state! Ahh so many marathons, so little time ;)

You should do the half-iron with us!!!

Kurt in Boston said...

Oh yeah, I'm in (and add the Marine Corps Marathon).

RBF in Chicago 2006? (Cause I still need to qualify for Boston -- maybe 2007).

Good to be looking ahead...

Mia said...

Good luck on your last cycle! I stole your idea to post training plans on the side bar :)

Also, I've got Chicago in my sights for 2006...wanna meet for martinis afterwards?!?

Beanie said...

I too have the 'Big 5' plan. I have NYC, Chicago and Boston under my belt - just not sure when I'll fit in London and Berlin! By 2009 sounds about right. I can't wait to read how you get on in Vegas :->

Dr. Iron TriFeist :) said...

Good luck on the last training cycle. You can do it!