Sunday, November 27, 2005

I love the Chargers

Vegas beckons…

I had decided earlier to post my planned marathon weekend itinerary in an effort to motivate myself. The marathon keeps getting pushed to the back of everything in my actions/thoughts, etc. Why, on Saturday, a planned 50 minute run got pushed after I decided instead to go bowling with a pal, thus beginning beer drinking on an early Saturday afternoon.

So, on an early Sunday evening, feeling unmotivated but on a high cause the CHARGERS BEAT THE REDSKINS SORRY A$# and LaDanian Tomlinson is the BEST THING EVER, I headed for the 50 minute run.

It felt awesome. My body has appreciated that I logged a total of 9 miles or so this week. Hmm, now that I write it out I’m not sure that’s a good mileage for the week. However, today’s run was the first that my body hasn’t felt fatigued. It was pretty tired heading into my final hard workouts.

Cool. So to stay in the mood, here’s my Vegas itin. Scott send me his and Brit’s earlier this week. He’s claimed he’s not going out Sunday evening. I plan to do my best to convince the two to go out.

Friday: depart 6 a.m. arrive 10:13 a.m. My pal Bookie (who scoped out the course with me during an August trip) is hopefully gonna get into town shortly after. If he picks me up we head to Luxor’s sports book to bet a couple horsie races as I wait for the fam to arrive. They’re leaving Fri am but plan to hit the shopping outlets. Ill drink non-alkie beverages and look for other runners to whine with, about having to be so very gosh darn good.

Evening: dinner with my dear friend, her hubby and a mutual friend I think highly of. They’re taking us to their fave restaurant. I can’t wait. I will drink up to two beers. Seriously.

Late evening: I’m in bed early, like a good girl would be. Sis and Bookie are painting the town red. I will try not to pout.

Saturday: Spend the day at expo and then checking out the town with mom, grandm and sis. Vegas has changed since my grandma visited in the 1970s, having become as of late rather upscale. The Venetian and Caesar’s are my faves, I’ll let the family check them out.

Evening: Get increasingly nervous. Pasta party with fellow Vegas bloggers (hurrah!).

Late evening: Into my room very, very early, attempt to sleep.

Sunday: 6 a.m. race. Ack.

Later Sunday: rest.

Even later Sunday: continue resting.

Even later: Get ready to go out.
I hope.

11 p.m: send grandma and mom to bed and go out with the grown ups.
I hope.

Monday: Leave at 11:30 a.m. Wear my medal.

So that’s what Vegas is looking like. Phew. I can’t wait, and I’m dreading it too.

Thanksgiving postscript: Thought I’d share another thing I forgot to thank, courtesy of my dad. My dad does the holiday pre-dinner prayer. His prayer is the same every holiday, for as far as I can remember. It’s generally rushed – ‘Blessed are these gifts we are about to receive..’ is usually all we can hear before he kind of mumbles the rest (it's roughly a 25-second prayer). Generally, we’ve yelled at him to stop because not everyone’s served or because he begins sampling early. This year, according to my sister, he waited patiently while everyone was served and seated. In fact, this time it was my grandma who people had to tell to stop eating. My dad then proceeded to read an editorial, I think from that day’s LA Times, about the true meaning of Thanksgiving. It was focused almost exclusively on the troops abroad, and their sacrifices during the war. My dad is an ardent opponent of the Iraq war, but as a former war veteran, understands the sacrifices those guys are making. I forgot to thank em in my previous post.

And on a lighter note, I found a hilarious blog. It’s called askthepope.blogspot.com The author writes like as if the pope had a blog. It’s hysterical. From cardinals who chew too slowly, to another time where he recommends waiting to ask for forgiveness because his back hurts...well, i'm telling you, i couldn't quit laughing.

And there goes another week. Off we go.

2 comments:

Dr. Iron TriFeist :) said...

Good luck on your race!!!! Can we track you online?

nyflygirl said...

Your planned Saturday night sounded like mine the nite before the Vegas half. Abstaining from alcohol (and the fried chicken one of my teammates picked up for our pre-gaming party) and early to bed (good thing I was still on NY time!) And our race start was at 6:30 am, but we also had an even earlier bus ride since the race started a bit away from the strip!! nice to be able to be closer to the start, right?

(Btw, my previous comment on your list topic was supposed to say "love the list." I can be such a ditz sometimes :-p )