Sunday, November 20, 2005

Hola, Abuelita!

Abuelita (grandma) arrived Friday. Grandma's coming to Vegas. It's been two decades or so since she visited the Strip. She's quite excited but as she explained to my sister, she's not exactly sure why we're going. I've translated the conversation between sis & grandma).

"Vas a ir a Las Vegas?" (you going to vegas -my grandma asks)
"Si, vamos a ver Bombi correr." (ya, we're gonna see arlene run -sis says)
"Oh que lejos?"(how far)
"26 mias" (26 miles)
"Va manejar?" (will she drive?)
"No, va correr." (no, she's running)
"Esta loca" (she's crazy)

And that sums it up for grandma. My grandma no doubt thinks running 26 miles is too bizarre for words. This is a woman who worked her a-- off for years and years, doing physically demanding jobs for little/no pay as she sought to secure citizenship.

I'm curious to see what it will be like at the marathon. My grandma will probably get swept up in the excitement even while she's like, these crazy fools, running 26 miles. Grandma, you see, rose before sunrise to clean people's homes, to work in greenhouses, to do whatever work she could find. And i'm her spoiled American granddaughter, who grew up not realizing what she had, not realizing how many opportunities were offered her.

I do now. It took awhile, but I do now. I realize how lucky I am to be able to run because I have the time and ability to do so, and the money to enter races. My job is not physically demanding so i have the energy to run. I can have one job rather than work the 16-hour days she used to work.

So on Dec. 4, day of the Las Vegas marathon, grandma will be there at the start. She'll wish me well while not really understanding what we're all doing there. Cause in her world and day, you worked too damn hard to train to run 26.2 miles.

I'll run. And grandma will be proud. She will be, even though it's like, run so long for what.

And I'll understand. I think about her sacrifices, her long days, her long hours...and how it's because of her discipline that I'm where I'm at in life.

Gracias, Abuelita. Because of you, I'm running a marathon. I'm healthy, can afford it and have the time to train.

Gracias.

9 comments:

Rich said...

How nice of you, and grandma is as lucky to have you as you are to have her. Take good care of her in Vegas!

a.maria said...

awwww, you almost made ME cry. you're gunna have an awesome time... i met 3 people working the water-stop with me that are doing vegas...i got a bit jealous, you're gunna have a blast!

Cliff said...

I feel that too. The spirit of marathon is not just lie in those that run. I see that in my parents. They go to work 9-5 everyday and come home and take care of us. They don't complain, they don't whine, they just do. For me to not run is just excuses....compare to them...I have a lot to be thankful for.

I hope your grandma enjoy seeing run :)

Scott in Washington said...

very nice post fellow taperer

Unknown said...

awesome. can't wait to meet her!

mouse said...

"I realize how lucky I am to be able to run because I have the time and ability to do so, and the money to enter races. My job is not physically demanding so i have the energy to run. I can have one job rather than work the 16-hour days she used to work."

these are things that are so easy for me to forget. Thank you for reminding me, and for inspiring me.

Hope you guys have a WONDERFUL time in Vegas! You're going to be great!

The (IRON) Clyde said...

How good are those drinks going to taste after the marathon?

Can't wait to read your race report, I'm sure you Abuelita will love the atmosphere out there during/after the race.

BuckeyeRunner said...

What an awesome post. Good luck in LV! You will be great!

Sixteen Chickens said...

I loved reading this post about you and your Grandma, well done! Have fun in Vegas, both of you!