Monday, December 26, 2005

the post-partum holiday post

I believe my winter blues has to do with the fact that I only ran once last week and haven’t stopped eating in three weeks. Either that or the fact that my boy left on Monday. Or that it’s the day after Christmas and I’m working while my sis is with her boyfriend and his friends at the racetrack and my boy is in Minn. snowboarding. Or maybe it’s because it’s been dark and dreary for two days. Or maybe it’s because I had to work Christmas too, and because I work in a bureau, was the only one in the office all day long. Or that my family is 3,000 miles away and they didn’t bother doing anything because Christmas is on hold until the final member of the family is home. Or because I’m supopsed to move Jan. 1 and I don’t know where to, and I’m going to be out of town. Or that lately I’ve been so confused with the direction of my life, and have begun to feel strange in my skin.

In any event, I canceled tentative plans tonight to go see a famous little winter stop, full of lights and festivities because I feel I’ll go mad if one more day goes by without a hard run.

I read a post today, from boiled peanut, about how difficult her holiday was. That she was lonely and wouldn’t it be nice if all the lonely people come all come together and realize there are others like you and we all could enjoy each other and get comraderie? Yes. That would be nice.

I had two invites for Christmas dinner but decided early in the day I just wanted to go home and clean my apartment, which is as chaotic as my life. I was also planning in drowning my sorrow in hot cocoa. No booze, since stores were closed.

But Kim called and she sounded so cheery so I figured the company would be nice. I fought with her 12-year-old son over playing Ms PacMan and then we all played Family Feud, the DVD version. I kept yelling out misleading answers because I wanted to win. I lost.

Then we played Trivial Pursuit. It took about 3 hours. My dad brought home Trivial Pursuit one year. It was the genius edition. My poor dad, thinking his kids are geniuses. We’d get like 1 in 20 right.

I hope everyone enjoyed the holidays. I have told my boss I am simply NOT working a third straight Christmas next year. That i'm prepared to WALK if he even thinks it. That I will CALL IN SICK i'm telling you now. OK, so I didn't say all that but I have told anyone else that would listen.

And Im going to stop comparing myself to anyone else in the world, count my blessings and pray my landlord gives me an extension.

5 comments:

Scott in Washington said...

I feel for you. I hated holidays when I was away from my family, and used to volunteer to work just because then I knew I legitimately avoid all the charity invites from my married friends. I hope the landlord/moving thing works out for you. You could crash on our couch for a while but that would mean a hell of a long commute...

Sixteen Chickens said...

Boy I hear you on the eating like crap and not exercising enough, my mood went right down the toliet (with the rest of the crap, oh my, that was crude wasn't it? :) ) So tell me, did you get your run it? Do you feel any better?

Scott in Washington said...

Congrats on running five miles. So far, you're running two more at a time than I have worked up to.

Don't you love how your sister, who doesn't even blog (hello!) has the nerve to threaten to take her readership elsewhere if we don't produce more often.

I have to agree with her, though askthepope.blogspot is pretty funny.

E-Speed said...

Uggh. I hope you feel better soon! Wishing you good non holiday vibes!

ida said...

Thanks again for your comments; they were much-appreciated beacons in the dark. I hope everything settles back into the groove for you soon, my friend.