Friday, December 16, 2005

Instant Street Cred.

When you live on the East Coast, driving a truck with California plates when weather strikes is like putting a sign up that says “Inexperienced Weather Driver.”

And frankly, that’s true of me.

But today, with difficult weather conditions predicted for PA – freezing rain, sleet, snow – my boy told me I should drive his Ford Explorer. His dad just gave it to him. It’s got Minnesota plates.

Instantly, I felt like drivers gave me props. I’m from Minnesota, mutha fukas! Two feet of snow? In my sleep.

Then reality set in. The driver of that Minn. vehicle is, alas, a Southern California native.

As soon as I got off the highways and onto back roads, I began slipping and sliding. I screamed. I promptly returned to the highways and back to the office.

No meeting coverage is worth my life. Thank heavens my editor is so understanding.

The small parking lot behind my office could have doubled as an ice skating rink.
I don’t know about this weather thing.

If it weren’t for snowboarding, I’d have to give this weather thing a thumbs down.

11 comments:

BuckeyeRunner said...

Double thumbs down, here, too, on the weather.

mouse said...

this? is seriously hilarious. I'm from Michigan, the land of "not quite as much snow as Minnesota, but still a lot," and I can't drive in it either. so don't feel bad.

Unknown said...

um...didja forget that we have big bear, tahoe and mammoth?

*come back to the light...come back to the light!*

Deene said...

we get a little nervous when it snows and we see CA or TX plates in front or in the next lane over here in Colorado as well.

Anonymous said...

Ha! As an experienced Michigander and Minnesotan, I disagree with Mouse. Michigan gets more snow (especially the West Side) than Minnesota - Minnesota is just way freaking colder

a.maria said...

heh. nice... dont worry, half the rejects around here have been dealing with ice their whole lives and STILL CANT DRIVE ON THE STUFF!!!
(kansans suck at driving and missouri roads blow...makes for a crazy rush hour!)

Sixteen Chickens said...

Hee hee, if I saw a vehicle with CA plates driving down the road here (WI) I would give it more room than a car marked "student driver." Maybe you should stick with the CA vehicle, you'll have the road to yourself. :)

Mia said...

lol :) "i'm from minnesota, mutha fukas"...that's classic

nevermind driving in the snow, can you drive in the rain ;)

this post was hilarious..

Josh Dysart said...

Snow and ice are lame. Boooo to snow and ice. Booo i say! Glad to hear you made the smart decision.

Rich said...

I get nervous too when it ices here in TX and I see cars with plates FROM TX.

Ben, aka BadBen said...

Here in KC, Kansas & Missouri drivers really suck in the snow and ice. And remember, Missouri is the "Show me how to drive state."
I moved here from the Inland Pacific NW, and used to drive on packed snow and ice 4 months out of the year. The maniacs here don't know how to drive in the winter. It's Supreme F*cking Chaos around here, if it's the least bit slick.