Sunday, June 25, 2006

Must reads

Kim may not be the most consistent training partner as of late, but she’s always got running on the brain. It’s like she’s a runner, only without really running.

So she’s at a second-hand book sale to benefit United Way last week and finds a book. There’s two copies. She picks up one for me and her. It’s called, “Sole Sisters: Stories of Women and Running.”

It’s a collection of stories compiled by two journalists all about running and women (as the title suggests). It’s like Chicken Soup for the Soul, only all about running.

I love it. Couldn’t stop choking up with every chapter.

I’m training for a triathlon right now and while I think it’s good to be well rounded and all, most days I have to force myself not to run so I’m not pathetic in the swim and bike portions of the race. As much as I like cross training I just have to admit I’m a runner at heart. Only when I run do I feel so at peace and like the world is mine.

I think all you gals out there should pick up a copy. It’ll just reinforce the feelings of why you’re a runner, what you love about running, and what a special thing it is.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just need to get moving at all! But you have inspired me and I am working on my weekly workout routine as we speak. Can't stand being a couch potato!

Junie B said...

its really cheap on amazon! thanks for the heads up on the book!

Cris said...

are guys allowed to read it too? Or is this a secret-club-only thing?

Anonymous said...

I am also intrigued by running and thats about it. I just can't get into biking and swimming, I only crosstrain because I have too to....

Scott in Washington said...

Running is a taker and I'm a giver. It is funny how running is supposed to be so hard on your body in the long haul when compared to swimming and biking but give me a good run any day.

I may not be able to run with you guys in Jersey. I'll be there but I may not be able to run. Why is a medical mystery I'd prefer not to get into in a public forum.