Friday, June 23, 2006

The beautiful flower

It's Friday, my reflection day. Usually it involves contemplating my life and relationships. Today is no exception.

Sissie is moving in just over a week. She's never lived farther than half an hour from my parents in northern San Diego County. Her entire life she's dreamed of moving. Boston, New York, Washington, D.C. A part of her always felt she'd never make it. Too close to my parents (and caretaker of the family), maybe too scared, and to do what? She'd be the married woman with kids upset, regretful, perhaps filled with a longing that would never be fulfilled.

When she applied for this job in Chicago, I wonder if she ever thought she'd get it. Career moves like that didn't happen to her. They happened to her sister, her friends. But now it's happening.

On July 3 sissie flies from Los Angeles to Chicago to begin a new time in her life. I doubt she's as nervous as me. I know she'll do great, that's not it. But she's so young! How can you be ready for the great big world at 27!!!!???

Her friend, who has been her friend since they were misfit junior high kids, wrote her a letter. It was on the first card she picked up. Fate. The quote on the front of the card could not have been more fitting.

"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom."

So go on then little sissie. Blossom.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

She'll do great! Sometimes you've got to pull away from the family to prove to yourself you're stronger, smarter and better than you thought (I'm talking from experience here!). Plus, that just gives us another big city to visit!