Friday, June 02, 2006

Kim's (almost) road to San Diego

I can hardly believe this is the weekend of the Rock n Roll Marathon in San Diego.

Loyal readers may recall months and months ago sissie and Kim decided they were going to participate. Kim would do so for Team n Training, sissie would join a local San Diego runners club. I’d eagerly cheer them on. Needless to say, neither of them are doing it.

Because I talk to both of them daily, I know a bit about how their training went.
Lets take a peek at Kim's journal to see what went wrong:

January 3: I have decided to complete my first marathon. I can’t wait! What a feat.

Jan. 15: The features editor asked me if I’d chronicle my first-time marathon adventure for the newspaper. Great! I’m gonna be a star. 26.2....and the whole world will know about it....

Feb. 2: Attend team-n-traning meeting. How neat. But well, I had to leave early. Meeting a friend for some Texas Hold em and some cocktails. Still. I. AM. AMPED.

March 7: I got this email from Partyrunner today (she can be such a nag) “Yo Kim, if you’re serious about doing this, you gotta buckle down. Ive told you this before, but Respect the Distance.” (in a mimicky voice) 'Respect the distance. Respect the distance.' She’s so boring. She’s read too many Runners World magazines and web sites.

April 5: I haven’t ran in a month. But I’m still optimistic I’ll be ready. I mean, San Diego? What a great vacation this’ll be!

April 23: Man my head is hurting! I’m not letting my friend Charlie ever let me do that $4 bucks for 6 beers and $10 in poker chips again.

April 24: OK, so I went out again. But I placed second in the poker game!

May 7: I’d write more but I’ve gone out every night so I've been kind of busy. I’m not sure about San Diego. It’s only four weeks away....

May 31: I run my first three miles in a month. I guess San Diego isn’t happening.

Today: I spend the day e-mailing Partyrunner with all the races we’re going to do this season. “Hey, Partyrunner, what about the Vegas marathon?” ........

But seriously, good luck to all the San Diego bloggers. May you be watched over as you run and most of all, have a fantastic time!!!

And what do we have over here. Why yes, I believe they're exceprts from sisie's training log...

2 comments:

Iron Jayhawk said...

Love this. :) I, too, know folks who have done this. But I agree, you MUST respect the distance.

Unknown said...

Hilarious. Sounds like my running diary...if I had one. Only, in the end, I run it anyway. Suffer the costs. Anyhow, I can't wait for the next installment with Sissie's biznit.