Friday, June 23, 2006

the po racer

The Kahuna wasn't kidding. A while back he blogged about how expensive races were becoming.
I just paid $100.11 for a SPRINT triathlon. The registration ($70), the "late" fee ($10 -- like three weeks before a race should be considered late), the one-day USAT membership ($9), my extremely generous contribution to the cancer/lympho society ($5 - hey, i'm a journalist) and the Lin-Mark processing ($6.11). At this rate Im going to be priced out of racing pretty soon. Geez.
My first tri, in May 2004, I paid like $60 total. That's practically a 100% increase. And I can guarantee you my salary aint jumped that much.

The good news is, I'm officialy registered!

By the way, I just learned Ocean City, N.J., likely site of the August bloggers gathering is a DRY city. Who in the hell ever heard of a DRY shore town? Bizarre.

PS scott: the race is (.5 mi Swim, 12 mi Bike, and 3.1 mi Run)

1 comment:

ShoreTurtle said...

I like OC. You're allowed to have alcohol in your home, condo, hotel, etc--there just aren't any bars or liquor stores in the city proper.

There are a bunch of bars across the bridge in Somers Point. My wife calls it the beermuda triangle.

We've vacationed there the last few years. In fact, I'm counting the days (15) until we're there for a week.