Friday, March 31, 2006

life. death.

What do you say when there are no words?

I stand there making small talk about running trails, half marathons, I say we should run sometime, and my heart is racing and my mind swirling. A tragedy strikes – not to me but a dear friend. I wait for him to come to me so we can walk. Meanwhile, I make small talk with a colleague.

I am reminded of a song: “But life goes on, and this whole world will keep on turning…” it’s from “For the Good Times,” one of my favorite songs, and one I listened to endlessly when I broke up with my first love.

Life goes on, runners talk running, coworkers wrap up stories. And in a corner of the world, the world is upside down. Devastation. But life goes on, and this whole world will keep on turning.

He says God brought me into his life, at this moment.

I saw an episode of Six Feet Under Wednesday night, the night before. A girl cries her aunt has died. She says no one has ever loved her except her aunt. She asks why people die. Nate, the main character who I just adore, says people die to remind you to cherish every day. To live each day like it will be your last. It sounds like your aunt, he says, did just that.

2 comments:

Deene said...

just be there - it's more than words.

Jim said...

Believe me. It is better to "just be there" than to try to search and stumble for words. A hug and a cry are sometimes worth more than anything the greatest philosophers of the world could say.