Sunday, March 05, 2006

births...of babies and of training

(Yawn...stretch...) And so I come out of a sleepy hibernation and return to my regularly scheduled blog. The last two weeks have been a blur of concerts (did I hear Air Supply?), shows (les Miserables, always beautiful), snowboarding (slowly getting better), bars (too many too list) and a few dates. But wait! First things first.

Brit HAD A BABY BOY!!!!!! You may know Brit from running stitch. I met Brit while training for the Vegas marathon, which her husband Scott was doing. Now they are my dear friends and I’ve been waiting eagerly as little Willie took his sweet time joining us. It was a safe, healthy 15-minute delivery. Congratulations, Brit and Scott! I look forward to seeing the little ones this summer.

Yesterday was Day 1 of my return to formal training. Me and this guy, who I’ll call BMI since he asked my body mass index the first night we went, took a hard charging eight miles. It felt great and it feels even better to be back to training. Then today Kim and a friend did a 3-miler. So excited and happy we were discussing the April 30 half marathon, and how stoked we were and how the training was ON.

Then I get back from run only to find out THE HALF MARATHON IS SOLD OUT. WHAT THE HELL. WHY DID I WAIT UNTIL MARCH TO REGISTER.

I am so so so so so so sad. I loved that race! Did it last year, was my first half marathon. The start is like 4 blocks from my house and it’s so well-organized and a perfect size and I CANNOT BELIEVE IT’S SOLD OUT. I don’t care, Runner’s World magazine headquarters is only miles from where I live. They’re organizing the event. Don’t think I’m not going to go over there IN PERSON and BEG AND PLEAD to get into the race. Wish me luck. I intend to turn on the charm like nobody's business.

12 comments:

Deene said...

what a bummer that it was all full up. maybe they squeeze you in if you offer to help with their next run or run errands or something. good luck!

LeahC said...

that sucks that it's all filled up. hope you get in though....there has to be room for just one more :-)

Dr. Iron TriFeist :) said...

I will keep my fingers crossed for you.

Unknown said...

hey, pr, don't sweat the race. my experience is that if you show up in person, they'll register you. just head to their offices and put on your charm...how could they resist you? =)

and what's with a guy asking about your bmi on the first date? that's just...um...weird. even if you're talking detailed training, there's an aspect of being a gentleman that says, "don't ask a girl her weight, age or BMI on the first date".

Anonymous said...

Nice to see you back! I hope you get in your race. Your last two weeks sounded really cool! If only my life were that interesting...

KT said...

Much luck with the grovelling and begging! Am sure it will all work out.

Unknown said...

Maybe the IRS-karma for neglecting your taxes is what caused this no-race condition. Or maybe it's a secret government plot.

I'm with jeff...the BMI question is a little weird, but, if many empty pitchers proceeded it...all bets are off.

E-Speed said...

good luck getting into the race! since its 4 blocks (and dont say i told you to do this) from you if they wont let you in I would just go and be a bandit.

TLP said...

Good Luck! I hope they let you in the race.
Lie. You could say that you had a death in the family. I had one. I'll lend it to you. CHEAT. Sneak an application in on someone's desk and point to it and say, "HA! There's my application! Lost on her/his desk!"
Steal someone else's acceptance letter.

See? This isn't that hard. You just needed to think about it a little. I'm old so I'm wily. Don't thank me. I have ideas that I'm not using.

Rae said...

I don't understand selling out...it's not like you're getting a seat in a movie theater or something!! Just bandit race it!

*jeanne* said...

I hope you get in!

I was toying with the idea of doing a half last weekend (one that has NEVER filled up before!), and I toyed too long - both the Half and the Full CLOSED prior to raceday. So I slept in.

But for me, it think it's all for the best. I have a full coming up, and 13.1 WAS more than I should have been considering during "taper".

Anonymous said...

can you turn on a southern accent? that always seems to work for me...