Sunday, February 19, 2006

great gym trips

I just had the greatest gym trip. Ran into an acquaintenance headed to March 5 Jersey marathon. She was 15 miles into a 21-mile run. I hopped on the treadmill next to her to bring her in. She said I was a Godsend; in return I had one of the easiest 6-mile runs of my life. Sweet!

I told her about this bowling fundraiser I was going to be part of, it's for Big Sisters/Big Brothers. Turns out she's a Big Sister. This week I'm calling the director to see about being a big sis myself. A few years ago, I unsuccessfully tried being in a similar program. For a number of reasons (mostly, that I suck) it didn’t work out.

I think I’m ready now. My one New Years Resolution was to start giving back. I figured it’d happen later in the year, after I’ve gotten myself in an emotionally and psychologically better place. That ain’t happening anytime soon as far as I can tell. But that doesn’t mean I won’t be a good and strong Big Sis. My life has felt so self-centered lately. I don’t like that feeling.

Because it’s Sunday and maybe you’ve got a few minutes to spare, do yourself a favor and check out Keith's blog. His having too much time on his hands means bloggers like us get a literary treat. I’ve laughed so hard so many times at various blog entries, people’s comments, etc. But this one I almost had to walk out of my office to gather myself. You simply must check it out.

Keith, what's it like to have so much time on your hands?

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Frakly, during winter, it's boring as all hell. And it's to end the boredom that I'm finally applying for a grad program! Hoorah!

Unknown said...

Roger that Frakly, I repeat, Frankly.

E-Speed said...

21 miles on a dreadmill? Oh my, that must have sucked!

Glad your 6 was good though!

Rae said...

21 miles on a treadmill sounds like a death wish!! Glad you could help her out though!

Rich said...

Good luck with the Big Sis thing. I hope it turns out to be a 2-way street and works out for both of you.