Friday, May 19, 2006

The new pickup line

Sis took some offense to her portrayal on this blog. "You made me out to be a liar and an abusive coach," she writes me this morning.

As a journalist, I hear this kind of thing all the time. "Oh, you misquoted me," and "That's not me at all," and "You have the story ENTIRELY WRONG." Ok, well, I dont hear this thing all the time - id be worried if i did - but you get the drift.

I told her, "Sis, the thing is, the stories I recount are true. Maybe you should rethink your sistering skills."

Ah, ***little sis. Good thing I'm around to help guide her along.

Training began last Saturday for the July 16 tri. Martina, Kim and I are doing it.

Martina and I had planned a swim and 5-mile run last Saturday. She decided no swim and perhaps a 3 miler would be nicer. Then we promptly had a beer and went bowling.

I met Martina online. She moved from Ireland two years ago. She's a lovely girl, cute, and has beer flowing through the veins as only a true Irish lassie can.

We've decided our new pickup line is "We're training for a tri." Cause last week at the parkway she and I stopped to watch a couple of guys rock climbing. We talked, then mentioned we were trainng for a tri.

Well, now were they impressed! So ya, so my new pickup line. I have yet to use it because even though I went out dancing last night it was to a gay bar. Maybe this weekend.

Hit the pool for the first time in months a couple of days ago. It felt amazing. What was I waiting for???? I'm all excited to be back in the tri training mode. I think I blame Jeff, star runner boy who has decided he wants to do an Ironman as his first tri or something like that. He's always so goshdarn inspirational.

*** here's a shout out to little sissie who told me earlier she loves my blog but really she just loves it when she's the featured subject

7 comments:

Lucky number 7 said...

That is a great pick up line!! Keep us posted on how it works!!

Scott in Washington said...

I'm on LJ's side... just for the record.

Scott in Washington said...

Earth to La La Land. Come in Partyrunner..

Anonymous said...

thats a great pick-up line! I love to swim too, need to get back into it for some cross training

Unknown said...

I must say I love the honesty of your sister. Unabashed vanity is a virtue. Heck yes.

Unknown said...

And good god your training sounds like my training. I could run, or....drink five beers, eat a gallon of popcorn...

Unknown said...

HAH!

yeah, i'm doing kona for my first tri.

seriously, though, that's a great line. i used it to get a guy to leave me alone in the gym yesterday. i was going through my lifting routine (very well planned, but to the meathead, it wouldn't make sense) and the guy started lecturing me on how to properly build muscle. i told him that i was training for a tri and that my coach had given me the lifting routine. worked like a charm!