Thursday, May 18, 2006

Baby sis leaves the nest. Big sis wonders what to do.

Some of you may know I have a sister. I write about her a lot.

She joined me in the Vegas marathon (a mile and a half later than she was supposed to. That didnt make big sis so happy). Then, she took credit for running it while wearing her Vegas blogging shirt in Starbucks (Impressed man in coffee shop: "Oh, you ran the Vegas marathon? So did my friend! Wow, that's great, and you're already running??" Sis (head down so as to not meet man's eyes: "Uh, er, ya, it is great.").

She's also acted as my coach, using such encouragement as "If you dont finish in under 4 you can forget you have a coach" and "No one likes a slow runner!" and other uplifting things.

She ran her first half marathon last summer, wearing big sis' shoes since her 4-year-old pair got a hole three days before the race. For a week -- maybe even two -- she even began training for San Diego, her first marathon.

But enough about sis the runner. Sis is also a career woman. She's in the young stages of a career as a corporate events planner. So Monday came the news -- little chickie is headed off to great big world. The San Diego born, raised, never left is heading to Chicago.

Big sis is a bundle of nerves. That is, when I'm not thinking about how I can go to Chicago every month if I wants and look how much easier doing the Chicago marathon and the Chicago famous triathlon I saw on TV last year will be?

Even though she's moving closer to her Pennsylvanian sister, it feels like she's moving farther. And I feel strange. I also think maybe she is too young. 27 and moving to a big city like Chicago? I'm not sure that's such a good idea.

But like all grown women must do, I must let sissie spread her wings and fly. I must be strong. What on earth will I do if i have a child?

5 comments:

Unknown said...

San Diego isn't big?! I live in a town that I think is quite large, the largest that I've lived in: 15,000. Oh ya. Largest I've lived in by a multiple of more than 5.

Anyhow. Lisa'll be fine. Hell, she's the same age as me! And my sister's name is Lisa. How weird. I've heard Chicago is one awesome city. Uhm. That's all the encouragement I can come up with...

Simba's Mom said...

I moved to Chicago all by myself when I was only 23 and I survived! It is a very friendly city. Tell your sis she can e-mail me if she has any questions!

Cris said...

Given your first four paragraphs, if she were MY sister, I'd buy her the plane ticket, then call Verizon and have my home phone number changed the moment the cockpit door was closed.

But maybe I'm not understanding the big pic.

Deene said...

Congrats to your sis! She'll love it and you get to "go out of town" to visit. (i moved away from home as soon as I turned 18 and my big sister irritated me by calling constantly)

The (IRON) Clyde said...

She'll love it!! I moved from a totally rural Wisconsin hick-town (population 700) to Chicago when I was 22. There is SO much to do here, and like you said, now you have a place to stay for the fastest marathon in the nation, it doesn't get much flatter than the Chi-town marathon.

PS...tell her one of the first things she has to have try out is Lou Malnati's deep dish pizza....so, so good.