Wednesday, August 02, 2006

My couples.

I’m now part of a couple. Actually, couples. Oh it’s not exactly a couple since there’s three of us and two are married and I’m not one of them but it’s nearly the same.

I’ve spent several nights recently with Kim and hubbie and Martina and hubbie. Kim’s hub has treated us to gourmet spreads and unique mixed beverages that include things like fresh squeezed orange. Martina’s hubbie has offered to cook dinner after our recent workouts. So I told Martina’s husband last night as we ate steak, yams and mixed greens – who needs a relationship when I can just join others?

So Saturday morning I set out with Kim and hubbie for 25-mile “fun” bike ride, a River to River Heritage Ride to benefit the Heritage Corridor in the suburbs of Philly. The morning started out rocky, with them arriving late to meet me. Neither of us had printed out directions to the start, which was a small farmers market. Kim’s hubbie knew of one but we weren’t sure if it was the right one. Off we went.

The mile plus to get there was all downhill. Great. Only it was the wrong one, we were told when we arrived. We were sent (yup, you guessed it) the way we came, now all uphill. We finally found the start.

We debated briefly whether to do the race, since basically they just gave you a map and off you went on your own. We’re like, we’re about to pay over 100 bucks for a sheet of paper. But we went.

We filled out the application for the race, which includes a size category for a T-shirt. But when we went to pay we were told T-Shirts were only for pre-registered racers. This didn’t go over well with hubbie, who mutters “Fucking expensive bike ride.” I began laughing hysterically.

Off we went, me clutching my paper directions tightly fearing we’d be one of those “few who get lost.”

A half mile later we’re forced to turn right or left and neither street is listed on our directions. We stop, look around. Hubbie mutters this is going to be a long day.

We’ve missed the first turn. I can’t stop laughing.

Three hours later we’ve speedily completed the 25 miles, just in the nick of time for the included lunch. Kim irately declares there is neither DIET ice tea nor TURKEY sandwiches left. Hubbie says he’s never doing another race again.

I look at my couple with a mixture of frustration and exasperation. But more, I look at my couple with fondness and warmth. They are, after all, my couple.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We love you too!!! Next week I'm having your named inscribed on our wedding candle and your image photoshopped on my wedding pictures and video!!

One of those days we will always look back and laugh about! (meaning Saturday) Geez-I sound like such a bitch!!! Thank God we said "For better or for worse!"

Oh-and we need toilet paper and milk on your way home today honey!!!