Sunday, February 04, 2007

Super Bowl Fun Run

Today was my first run since Dec. 05, Vegas marathon. The second I arrived to the parkway for the 10K I realized how much I missed the racing atmosphere. Glad to be back...

Pre-race
A 10:30 a.m. start means I get to sleep in. I wake at 9, make coffee. I decide to eat the honey nutrition bar provided me in race packet cause I forgot to pick up bananas, my usual race breakfast.

Ew, ew, ew.

The first bites are edible, then I start to just ram it down so I can get it over with. This has a hamster-like effect for me. It's so dry and sawdust-like it's sitting in my mouth in a large lump, not going anywhere.

I brace myself, swallow, gag. Manage to keep it down by chugging nearby coffee.

I arrive and see right away the course is icy and slippery. I have to park like 4 miles away. I'm shivering so bad and I'm so cold. I look around in terror. Surely, someone else is as disturbed by these hypothermia-creating conditions as I. Everyone appears cool and collected. Announcer tells us to take it easy on course, that running in tough conditions only makes us stronger. I am not inspired.

The Race
It's the toughest conditions I've ever raced in. It's freezing but worse is how icy the course is. The race only has around 500 participants but the course is narrow.

But I find my pace rather quickly. I figure I'm doing somewhere between 830 and 9.

There's not much else to report. The course is hilly but managable. By the time we hit mile 5 I can't believe the race is almost over.

Then just like that, there's the finish line.

Post-Race
I eat a piece of pizza, and find myself next to a tall guy in red. We were almost side-by-side the first two miles, then he took off but he never left my eyesight. I congratulate his race and thank him for pacing me. He is shy. He says thanks, good run to you too.

Time (no chip): 52:40ish. Not bad.

I'm sorry this report is so boring. But it's like it was over before it began! Weird.

I can't wait for the next one.

8 comments:

Deene said...

good run despite conditions!

Anonymous said...

yeah, nice run...looking forward to meeting you soon...we still on for the 16th-ish?

Mike said...

Hey- good on ya for getting out there! I'm glad to see I wasn't the only one out there "suffering" while everyone else was planted on a couch for the game!

Faithful Soles said...

Good job on the run for not having been out for a month. I just finished the Austin Marathon last weekend with a bad left shin splint, and I plan on taking off about 4 weeks as well. If you get a chance, please visit my running web site, Faithful Soles. I have a categorized and searchable Running Blog Database on there and would appreciate it if you would link your blog to it. I look forward to visiting your blog again to see how your training and racing is going.

Jimmy said...

How was the Vegas Marathon?

Anonymous said...

Good to hear you are back at! Keep on running.

massage recliner

Brady said...

Dear Blogger,

Your blog clearly shows that you are an enthusiastic running fan, so I thought you should know about the World Championship Sports Network (WCSN). We provide coverage of Olympic and lifestyle sports, and our track and field site (www.wcsn.com/trackandfield) has become a premiere destination for track and field fans all over the world.

We will be broadcasting a lot of the IAAF Track and Field meets, and we are trying to reach out to passionate and knowledgeable track and field fans to let them know they can watch these events on our website, as well as view past meets on-demand, check out photos, get the latest news, and much more. We would like to offer you an FREE WCSN account so that you don’t miss any of the action, and can get excited and help promote our coverage of the World Championships in Athletics, the World Youth Championships, and much more.

Upcoming Track and Field Events:

IAAF Grand Prix 6/8/07 Lille, FRA
IAAF Grand Prix 6/10/07 Bydgosczc, POL
IAAF Odlozila Memorial 6/13/07 Prague, CZE
IAAF Grand Prix 6/17/07 Warsaw, POL
IAAF World Youth Championships 7/11/07-7/15/07 Ostrava, CZE
IAAF World Championships in Athletics 8/25/07-9/2/07 Osaka, JAP
IAAF World Athletics Final 9/22/07-9/23/07 Stuttgart, GER
IAAF Road Running World Championships 10/14/07 Udine, ITA

We also have a large archive of past events on-demand, such as the 2006 World Indoor Championships and the London Marathon. Please let me know if you would like a complimentary account and we will set it up right away. Thank you for your time, and I look forward to hearing back from you.

Best PartyRunner,

Brady Stevenson
World Championship Sports Network
(310) 921-7008
bstevenson@wcsn.com
www.wcsn.com

Home of World Champions

Anonymous said...

Keep on running!

home fitness